-

Photo
- - - - -

Routers for Jasper Jig

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 02:48 AM

I have a pair of Jasper Jigs on the way, and now I'm trying to decide which router to get. The Dewalts seem to get great reviews, does anyone know if the Jasper Jigs fit the new model 616 1.75 HP? I can get the kit (plunge & fixed bases plus bits) for $180 at Sears with a coupon I have.

A refurbished 621 is $150-160 on-line - it seems to be very highly rated but discontinued. Anyone know if this is a good router?

I've also read that the Makitas are much quieter than other routers - a nice feature. Anyone have one? How is the dust collection? They work good?

Any advice is appreciated.

Peter

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Allen Ross

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 03:44 AM

Porter Cable. My speaker buddy just picked up the new 893 pk and he loves it, comes with fixed and plunge base its a little bit more pricey.

I have the 690 and it suits me just fine, i wish it had a little more guts when i am spinning my lock miter bit is really working it.
Member and Founder of the "Its Never to Big or too Loud to have in a Dorm Club"
Everyone in college should have a 9 cuft Tempest in their closest!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian Pokosh

Brian Pokosh

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 03:50 AM

The Dewalt 616 does fit the jasper jig, though I had to use the holes listed for Porter Cable and buy new screws (none of the included ones threaded in properly).

I've owned it for about a month now and have done roughly 27 holes for my Tempest box. Dust collection works very well, and I have no complaints about it.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 03:51 AM

I just bought the DeWalt 616 combo and yes the Jasper jig fits it.

The 616 replaced a refurb 641 who's power switch bit the dust.

Although I liked the vacuum attachment of the 641. I think generally speaking it's a pain to use . The base is too narrow and tippy, the operation of the power switch is a PIA.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris Keen

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 05:22 AM

The DW621 gets really good reviews. It's a fine router from what I've read. The one that would be on my short list (if I were you) is that PC 890 series. You can get it as a fixed or a plunge only setup, or for a bit more the combo that has both bases (fixed and plunge). I would choose the combo pack -- plunge, and fixed with the handle. The handle on the fixed base, and the plunge base both have attachments for dust collection.

Click here for the PC 894 package example.
Chris
Marantz sr8200
Onix Rocket 750,200,250 speakers
Panasonic rp82

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg

Screenwriter

• 2,573 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 09:27 AM

After a few years of routing MDF, my strong suggestion is to only buy a router that has a dust port/tube that you can attach your shop vac to. MDF creats LOTS of dust and if you don't use a vac, the dust will cover everything and you'll of course have to wear a dust mask every time you route MDF. Routing outdoors will cover your driveway/patio, grass and bushes with MDF dust. One of the DW's has a dust port (621?), as does the small Freud router.

Chris: hi, have you built any speakers lately?

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 11:21 AM

I use the DeWalt 621 and can highly recommend its use with the Jasper jigs. I second Hank's very important recommendation on the dust port...of which the 621 has a very effective implementation. For MDF, I not only route outdoors but also use the dust collection port/shop vac in addition to a mask.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Bob K

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 10:37 PM

I too use a DeWalt 621 for all sorts of tasks, including with a Jasper Jig, and love it.

I agree with Chris that, if I were in the market now, I would look also at the new line of Porter Cable 890 combos.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris Keen

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 01:25 AM

Hank, not lately. I'm actually waiting on some shielded 6.5" dayton mids that are on backorder. I'm making a set of tower speaks for my parents based on the d616TL design. They'll be modest speakers, but we'll see how they go. This will be my first regular speaker attempt. If all goes well, I'll spring'em a center channel next, and then some small surrounds. I bought them a Harmon Kardon 230 receiver for Christmas in preparation for it all.
Chris
Marantz sr8200
Onix Rocket 750,200,250 speakers
Panasonic rp82