-

Photo

Short Run Series that need a DVD release -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#1 of 130 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:03 AM

While looking thru some old tapes and in preperation for more work (sigh) I just happened to think that there are several 'short run' animated (and otherwise) series that have some rather loyal followings that could stand a DVD Release (even a 'bare bones' one would do, but maybe outtakes on the live action). Usually 13 1/2 eps would make a nice 2-disc package.

Those I'm thinking of...

In Animation -

The Oblongs
The Ripping Friends
Mission Hill
Baby Blues
Ralph Bakshi's Spicy City (HBO originally, only 6 episodes but for an 'adult' viewer).
John Callahan's Quads! (never shown in the US (AFAIK), very adult situations and FALL ON THE FLOOR FUNNY!)
Gary and Mike (claymation from Wil Vinton Studio's, I believe there are one or two unaired eps still in the vault)

In Live Action -

Greg the Bunny (same situation a "the Tick" mistreated by Fox with 2 unaired episodes and a VERY different unaired pilot)
That 80's Show (shush.. I think it had potential but again hammered by FOX)
Andy Richter Controls the Universe (ditto.. ditto.. and FIVE unaired episodes in the can.. and widescreen to boot)

#2 of 130 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:06 AM

It's all about the six episodes of Police Squad!

Paramount, I'm talking to you.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 130 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:09 AM

I think Police Squad! (in Color) has already been 'semi-announced, or at least announced to be announced).

#4 of 130 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:23 AM

Details please! Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 130 OFFLINE   Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:26 AM

My wife is desperate--I mean DESPERATE--for Rhino to do DVDs of VR-5.
My Film Blog: //killthesnark.blogspot.com

#6 of 130 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:36 AM

I'm desperate for VR-5 myself. And I also want 80's Show, too.

I've heard nothing about Police Squad...what's the sitch?

My granddaddy of all time short-run show that I want on DVD is Quark. I know I'm not alone; a couple of TVShowsOnDVD users will e-mail me from time to time and always mention it, no matter what the subject! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#7 of 130 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:41 AM

David...

Somewhere in the distant back of my mind I remember something about Police Squad! (in Color) being mentioned in a chat as being on the sched for 2004.

VR.5 - trust me, I'm about ready to scrounge the RHINO tapes of the series (I do have most of them from the 1st SciFi airings) and do them myself! Someone should tap RHINO on the head and see what's the holdup for such a no-brainer.

That 80's Show - ahh.. someone else likes Katie (grin).

QUARK - in the words of Steve Austin OH HELL YEAH! I've got (wonky) tapes that are marginal but I'm gonna try them soon as I can afford a good video processor.

#8 of 130 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 08:05 AM

The last HTF chat with Paramount was 9/6/2000:

Q: Thanks for coming tonight. Now that you've released the Naked Guns (which are great discs BTW), any plans for a DVD release of the Police Squad series? Again, thanks.

A: No plans for Police Squad but look for the Airplane 1 with commentaries on 10/24 done

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#9 of 130 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,900 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 08:08 AM

-Freakylinks
-The Others
-Harsh Realm
-Vengeance Unlimited
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#10 of 130 OFFLINE   Doug Ennis

Doug Ennis

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 08:29 AM

Action!
Gun
Young Americans

#11 of 130 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,032 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 10:13 AM

I'd really like to see:

Nowhere Man
Lone Gunmen
Freakylinks
Undeclared

#12 of 130 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 11:39 AM

Does Bosum Buddies count?
Miracles?

#13 of 130 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 11:50 AM

I'd like to see Action! as well as Sledge Hammer!.

#14 of 130 OFFLINE   William Waits

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 01:19 PM

Three words:

Men Behaving Badly

#15 of 130 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 01:21 PM

I second Nowhere Man - seemed to be a stepchild to The Prisoner.

Brisco County.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#16 of 130 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 01:24 PM

Boomtown

#17 of 130 OFFLINE   Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 02:02 PM

If UPN was'nt so deadset on catering to the lowest common denominator, Nowhere Man could've been their signature show. With a little patience & nurturing, it could've done for them what X Files did for FOX. Posted Image

#18 of 130 OFFLINE   Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

• 740 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 02:27 PM

You know, two years ago I wouldn't have thought it even remotely possible for any of these series to see a release. Now, who knows. I knew when I saw Sports Night (one of my favorite shows ever) that anything had a shot.

#19 of 130 OFFLINE   Matt`L

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 03:19 PM

A few of the shows mentioned in this thread are available on dvd, albeit outside the u.s.

Men behaving badly and Quads! (which I cannot stand) being two that I can say off the top of my head, with absolute confidence.

They're available in Australia and I assume the U.K. as well.

I'm sure if I had some spare time I could confirm the existence of a fair chunk of the dvds mentioned here.

#20 of 130 OFFLINE   Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 03:23 PM

BRISCO COUNTY JR.!
ANDY RICHTER!

...SCRUBS!
Jake J.
Chief?
McCloud!
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"