What's new

Frankenstein/Classic Monsters: The Legacy Collection DVD by Universal (Merged) (1 Viewer)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
From Universal Studios website:

Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection
Release Date: 04/27/2004
Packaging: Digipak with Outer Box List Price: $26.98
Price: $19.98
You save $7.00 (26%)

Disc 1
Frankenstein
Run Time: 1 Hour 11 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated Technical Information
Audio

English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Captions: English
Subtitles: French, Spanish
Picture: Full Frame (1.33:1)
Black & White

Disc 1
Bride of Frankenstein
Run Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Audio

Black & White

Disc 1
Son of Frankenstein
Run Time: 1 Hour 39 Minutes
Audio

Black & White

Disc 2
Ghost of Frankenstein
Run Time: 1 Hour 8 Minutes
Audio

Black & White

Disc 2
House of Frankenstein
Run Time: 1 Hour 11 Minutes
Audio

Picture: Full Frame

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Well, if nothing else, this news definitely makes the original OOP releases of these films with all the extras even more collectible.

But at least it's a sign Universal may release some of their other classic monster films that they haven't touched yet. Unfortunately, we'll probably have to go through a repackaged "Mummy Legacy" and "Dracula Legacy" before we get to any of those unreleased ones. Maybe 2005....

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm wondering why FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN isn't included. Perhaps the website is in error and it's there, otherwise this release is incomplete.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The original DVD's for Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, and Phantom of the Opera were top-notch.

The transfers for the original Dracula and The Invisible Man were awful. The transfers for Bride of Frankenstein and Creature From the Black Lagoon were pretty good. (The Spanish Dracula is fantastic, too)

Universal would be making a serious mistake by re-releasing the Frankenstein films without the extras on the previous DVD's.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Wow! This'll retail for twenty bucks or less... that's four bucks for each film! Hopefully this means that future releases (and re-releases) of the Monsters on DVD will arrive at a lower price point than the earlier discs. I'll definitely buy this (even though I have all five films on DVD already) if BRIDE gets a better transfer (I might buy it anyway just for that cool box). If nothing else, at least they got SON and GHOST in the right order this time!

Maybe we'll get a CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON Legacy collection too....

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN will be in the Wolf Man set while HOUSE OF DRACULA is going to be in the Dracula set. I own all the OOP discs so this really doesn't bother me too much since I would have paid $25 for HOUSE OF DRACULA anyways.

It's a shame new buyers will miss out on the wonderful extras however. I agree DRACULA and INVISIBLE MAN looks worse than their videos and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is matted wrongly. I would have gladly paid another $30 for each title, remastered of course. Hopefully more sets will continue for the stuff that isn't out yet. A Karloff/Lugosi Collection would certainly be nice.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Terrific news! I certainly hope this means that we'll see all of their classic monster movies on DVD. I would like the extras that they had on the original boxed set--but I'll take what I can get.

Now if we could get the great The Body Snatcher with Karloff and Lugosi on DVD we'd really have something.

Brett C

Second Unit
I won't be happy at all if Universal is dumping the extras for these reissues.Guess I'll be paying the royal prices to get the original pressings.

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
I also am upset that the extras are being dumped. The only one I got before they went OOP was Dracula (thank God, I'd hate it if I'd missed that one). I was hoping they'd eventually come back into print as they were. Guess I'll be spending a fortune one day on ebay...

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it's too much to hope for that Universal will release an improved print rather than the dark grainy Bride of Frankenstein image they put out before.
A classic film like this deserves a much better presentation on DVD!

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
And it would be great if they added back the ambient background noise they so stupidly removed from FRANKENSTEIN when "restoring" it. Of course it looks great, but the sound is so f###ed up (like it's in an outer space vacuum) that I'd rather watch the old VHS.

Anyway, I have a feeling all of these presentations will be identical to the original DVD releases (minus the extras, of course). At that low retail price for 5 films, I seriously doubt Universal went back in to fix mistakes or do any more restoration on any of the films. Otherwise, they'd be touting that fact and releasing them at a higher price point.

Rolando

Screenwriter
as cool as having those movies in a great looking package at a kick ass price I am (*#&@#*&@) not happy about quite a few points.

I missed my window on those original releases and am quite upset to think they won't be re-released. Now these new release are nice but are missing the extras? WHY OH WHY??? If you want to re-release these at a better price why not re-release the old ones (and box sets) with a lowered MSRP?

this sucks, if you don't my saying. Now don't get me wrong, I am a master idiot for not buying these when I had the chance but it looks like universal is trying to steal my title!

yes a few need work but if they are not fixing these what is the point of release "inferior" edition without the extras? next thing you'll know the wont release the spanish version of Dracula with the original Dracula.

I am at a loss for words...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have the original "Monster" collection, so no sale. Plus I would not buy a set without extras & I try to avoid digipaks whenever possible.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I think it's incredibly cool to get 5 films that I otherwise wouldn't buy individually.;)

Rolando

Screenwriter
can anyone point to where I can get a full list of all the movies available in the original monster collecion and a full list of ALL the extras.

want to know what I would be missing out with these new releases...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks