Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

What firewire cable Sony to Panasonic E60?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Gary Harris

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 05:21 PM

I just got a Panasonic E60 & I'm curious what type of firewire cable I need to go from a Sony Handycam TRV340 to the E60? I know nothing about this but from what I've read, does a 6 pin male end to a 4 pin male end sound right? Any help or comments about this would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 08:00 AM

The Panasonic website says that the e60 has a 4 pin firewire connector, so I'd say 4 pin (male) to 4 pin (male).

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Garbern

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 11:00 AM

You are correct, sir. Any will do, but this retractable is not too expensive and is easy to stash when not in use:
Linq retractable

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Gary Harris

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the comments. I just looked at the two connections & they are identical. Not sure why I didn't do that before...

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 12:55 AM

I too have the Panny DMR-E60 DVD Recorder & have struggled with the FireWire (i.Link) connection to my Panasonic PV-DV203 Mini DV Camcorder. I bought a cheap (? $25-) 4-pin FireWire at BB & it worked the 1st time, but the 2nd time I tried, the E60 wouldn't recognize the connection and I didn't get that "DV Auto Record" option in the recorder "function" menu. I tried everything ... very frustrating.

After searching the web I learned that there have been numerous reports of trouble (failed connections) when using cheap FireWire connectors. They suggest using an official Sony or Panny i.Link connector (silly that I have to pay $50- for this).

My biggest peeve however, it that when I did a DV Camcorder transfer to the E60 (DVD-R format), the E60 ALWAYS forces me to choose the recording mode (i.e. 1 hr, 2 hr, etc.) This indicates to me, that the recorder is converting the video datastream [digital-analog-digital]. This really frustrates me, since I really wanted a direct digital-digital transfer. It seems obvious to me that in a direct D-D copy, I wouldn't have the option of changing the encoding bitrate, right? The Panny lit & PR's say you can do a D-D transfer, but I have yet to get it working. Confusing, no?

I suspect I'll be on the horn with Panasonic TS this week to try to get more info.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Gary Harris

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 08:49 AM

Interesting... I ordered a cheap (dirt) one on eBay so I'm interested in experimenting when it comes. I'll post my results, if any. You would think a Panasonic to Panasonic conection would be the simplest of all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users