What's new

Charlie's Angels: Season 2????? (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
Any word about season 2 (and beyond) being released? I recall reading in an earlier thread that the sales of the season 1 set were quite strong and that a second season was more or less a sure thing. I haven't read anything about it in quite a while and am hoping that someone here might have some information...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Columbia rarely if ever discusses sales numbers for their releases. Anything that might have been said in the past that sales were "good" or "okay" would have been anecdotal evidence at best (stories based on retailer observations, not official word from the studio).

I don't recall seeing any past threads here (or elsewhere) where it was said that these sold terrifically. If there was such a post - perhaps even by me! (I'm getting older and forgetting more and more :) ) - then I'd contradict it at this time. At best they sold "average". At best.

Since Columbia's pattern is to release shows like this and S.W.A.T. on DVD at the same time a film hit theaters, to tie into the hype, then I'm not sure what the future is for future seasons of either show. Are there sequels coming for either Angels or S.W.A.T.? If sales were "average" during a tie-in with a film promotion campaign, then what should Columbia expect of sales for sets released at any other time?

Yeah...I'm not holding my breath. We'll have to wait and see. The new S.W.A.T. is trying to make the jump back to the small screen with a syndicated weekly show. If that happens, then perhaps that one has a chance. As for the Angels, I haven't heard even a rumor that a 3rd flick in the new franchise is being considered. Has anyone else?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Jeff U said it sold well in this post , but i don't know what his information was.

i too, would like at least the second season.
in fact, out of all the seasons, that was the only one i really wanted, and the only reason i bought the first was hoping it make the second more likely.

unfortunately, since the studios tie the vintage tv product to the crappy new theatrical releases, the fans get screwed both ways

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Not too long ago, it was reported on Dark Horizon.com that Demi was in hopes of making future installments of the series, placing it in the early 80's and basing it on Madison Lee and the Angel's at that time. Meaning, no Drew, Lucy, or Cameron (not a bad idea in my book) and, hopefully, no McG.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Even if sales were "average" isn't the studio still making a profit? I realize their priorities would lie with the bigger sellers, but considering the percentage of films they release that *lose* money, why not release everything that will be at least modestly profitable.

Ted

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

You see, I don't even know that sales were as good as "average". And then if they were, I don't KNOW that these were profitable with "average" sales...the break-even point might require above-average sales. I dunno.

The other thing to consider is this: often the early indication of "sales" is from manufacturer to retailer. That's how the New York Times Bestseller list of books can tell you that a book is a bestseller before its released: the figures and rankings are based on sales TO RETAILERS.

Sell-through of a product to the consumers may be a different story entirely. If Target and Best Buy assume CA-S1 will sell great guns and buy massive quantities, then early on it can be said that "sales are great".

But if those chains end up with these products just sitting on the shelf and in the warehouse, and the inventory isn't turning over (aka selling to consumers), then they end up returning it to the studio for a credit.

At that point what looked early on like a great hit can easily turn into a big loser.

Right now, in the post-Christmas season, the chains are all getting their overstock lists together to report to the manufacturers what didn't sell. In the coming weeks each chain will issue overstock return lists to the individual stores, and the staff at each location will pack these up and send them to the chain's central warehouse. There the stock will be combined with warehouse overstock, and then returned to the studio. The studio then issues a credit, then has to turn around and re-price the stock so that it can sell as closeouts/bargain bin items/special purchases/discount chains/outlet malls/etc.

Sometimes the studio saves money on the shipping and just has the chains keep their stock, lowers the SRP, and issues a per-unit credit for the difference.

Either way, it represents a loss of revenue to the studio that discourages them from putting out Season 2's...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
as much as i hate to say it, i would be surprised if the sales for Season 1 were even average.
although it sure didn't look like a whole lot of effort went into these sets-either from the mastering of the episodes (which looked like they were from tape anyway) to the packaging which was pretty bargin basement so i don't know how much more expensive this was to produce than simialr tv sets have been.
but i didn't see the set listed on very many 'to get' lists on other forums, nor many responses to many threads when the subject of this series comes up.
not a perfect indicator, but it does give some idea as to their popularity.
i think its pretty obvious that if S1 had sold well enough, we would have had S2 when the last movie hit video-whether that was a dog or not.

a shame, as i thought Season 2 was a lot more interesting than the rookie season, and i like Ladd a whole hell of a lot more FFM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks