What's new

"The Poseidon Adventure" DVD re-issue coming? (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I understand that the 1972 flick starring Gene Hackman was previously released as a rather luckluster DVD by FOX.
Amazon.com is now listing the film as a pre-order for December 18th.
Anyone have info on this? Is this a re-do (remastered picture, sound, anamorphic?) or simply a re-release at a different price?
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Michael,
I talked with Fox while out in LA during the National Meet and don't expect them to revisit "The Poseidon Adventure" or "The Towering Inferno" for a good while which means 2003 at the earliest.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
This is the date of a price reduction on the existing Poseidon Adventure, not a new release.
Crawdaddy,
Like your signature
laugh.gif

Thanks for your interest,
Peter Staddon

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Michael, my wife has the old disc. She tells me it's servicable, and seems happy with it. When I mentioned a possible SE re-release on a different occassion, she said that she'd have to see what the new one was like, and repeated that she was happy with the old one.
This is her film, not mine, so I don't have any impressions either way. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I did a search for this topic because a local store has this DVD for a very nice price. Since I really adore this old adventure flick, I'm tempted to pick it up. But...
A movie this popular seems like a prime choice for a new SE.
Any new movement on this title? :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Poseidon Adventure is another one of my guilty favorites - along with Logan's Run.

I own Logan's Run but not Poseidon. I had been holding out for a rerelease as I beleive this was a non-anamorphic-era Fox title. Same goes for Towering Inferno.

It's too bad there won't be a revisit before 2003.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
dude... Logan's Run is NOT a guilt pleasure... It's the greatest scifi movie of all time! :)
(and I'm only half kidding)

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
2002 is the 30th anniversary of THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE...

Perhaps by the end of the year?

Regards,

Lee

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
Also perhaps the recent AMC Backstory on The Poseidon Adventure. They could also include the original 1972 behind the scenes reel that pops up on e-bay once in a while.

Regards,

Lee

Tony Scello

Second Unit
The long wait is finally over...DVDActive.com and DavisDVD.com are both reporting that The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno will be released as new special editions on May 9, 2006:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Both will get new anamorphic transfers but no other specs have been revealed yet. Here's hoping we get some documentaries, commentaries and the many "TV Version" scenes from TTI as supplements. Check out DVDActive.com for a peek at the cover art. Nice!

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Now we just need a EARTHQUAKE SE and I'd be set with old school disaster movies....

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
cover art to Towering Inferno looks pretty spectacular- is that a Berkey Illustration?

nice to see that they are incoporating the original Key art for a change (although a blue scheme to PA would have been better).

since these are both getting released the same day, i expect some reailers will have a decent sale price when bought together- but its chaffing to pick up remastered titles like this at this point in time, when i'm already looking to HD for upgrades. still i probably will replace both since Fox will probably drag their heels in regards to Blu-ray releases.

i really hope Warner follows with a release of Beyond The Poseidon Adventure- i know it gets a bad rap, but its enjoyable B-movie schlock to me

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Recently posted at www.thedvdforums.com :
...was just browsing through IMDB, and noticed the "Where are they now" for Carol Lynley and I quote:
"(February 2006) She provided audio commentary for the upcoming release of the new deluxe edition of the Poseidon Adventure DVD along with Pamela Sue Martin and Stella Stevens."

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I met Carol and Stella at a Special Screening of P.A.in San Francisco a few years ago. They were both very nice. Shelly Winters was suppose to show up but cancelled at the last minute.

A commentary by all three of these woman would be great.

Does anyone know why Gene Hackman hates this movie so much?

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Director Ronald Neame has apparently also recorded a commentary for Poseidon Adventure SE.

I hope they have tracked down the original stereo tracks (first dvd was mono).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks