What's new

BFD experts!! Please comment on this room response... (1 Viewer)

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm planning to buy a BFD. Comment on this curve, please! I have HSU VTF-2, which is placed in one of the corners. The SPL values are compensated. The measurements are done with the main speakers off and just the sub on. I think the dip at 45Hz qualifies as a null.
The volume on my sub is at just 1.5 level. I have enough headroom to boost the overall response after EQing.

The compensated SPL values are:
20-->79.5
22-->89.5
25-->87.0
28-->83.0
31.5-->82.0
36-->83.5
40-->84.5
45-->77.0
50-->89.5
56-->91.0
63-->89.5
71-->86.5
80-->86.5
89-->85.5
100-->79.0
111-->79.0

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
You could bring everything down to 80 db and have very flat response, though your sub will seem less powerful.

Where are all the Hsu proponents who always claim Hsu subs to have the flattest response? :crazy: I really hope this shows you how asinine those claims have been.

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jason, for the suggestion.
---------------------------------------------------------
Where are all the Hsu proponents who always claim Hsu subs to have the flattest response?
---------------------------------------------------------
I think the peaks and dips are the result of room response. The corner placement might have boosted some frequencies. Correct me if I'm wrong!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Got to love these kind of antagonistic posts.

Like Abhinandan stated, the peaks and dips are caused by the room...not by the sub. Any room would benefit from a BFD.

That room curve actually does not look too bad to begin with. Have fun with that BFD.

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator

Thats my point. Unless you have a room treated to the max, you will not get flat bass without EQ. An anechoicly flat sub will actually have worse in room response then a sub with a shelved response (room gain).

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

I understand the point your trying to make. So what if Abhi's sub had an anochoic peak at 55hz, and then his room gain added to that?

Let's not turn this into a sub brand X vs a sub brand Y.

The bottomline is would you rather start out with a sub with a flat anechoic response or not?

Abhi,

I'd aim for the peak at 55hz. Have you tried moving the sub?

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks curtis! Unfortunately I don't have much space to move the sub around. As you suggested, I'll go for 55Hz peak. I want to shoot for a house curve. I'll try to flatten out the response and then go for the house curve. How about boosting the dips?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
My understanding is that the proper way is to go after the peaks first, and then see what you end up with.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Abhinandan,

There’s really no reason to do that until you get the equalizer.

Also, since you’re getting the BFD there’s no reason to experiment with different locations. That’s an exercise for folks who don’t use an equalizer. Just put it in the corner to maximize output and extension, and the EQ will take care of smoothing response.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator

Flat anechoic is an SBB4 (super boom box) alignment. If your goal is maximum output, then thats what you want.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Maximum out put does not mean good bass. You may want maximum output, but others may want clean and accurate bass.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

OK...I am a little confused at what you are trying to say. If you start with a shelved response, placing it a room will make it flat? Do you have an example of a shelved response that was made flat when placed in a room?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Thanks Jason,

I respect Adire's opinions. Dan Wiggins is a highly respected subwoofer/speaker designer, as is Hsu. But what is in that paper does not compare different subwoofers in the same location.

The Hsu subs have been tested by various professional reviewers to have super flat response, that is not nonsense, it is simply a fact. Hsu also understands in detail how room interactions affect bass performance, more so than almost anybody. Dr. Hsu is considered one of the most knowledgable people when it comes to giving advice on how to properly place and set up a subwoofer in room.

Hopefully we can agree that bass performance not only depends on quality of design but on room characteristics, placement options, and setup.

By the way...Adire also advertises "flat anechoic response" for its subs.

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator

They have different alignments for different needs. If you read the white papers you'll see the EBS (extended bass shelf) is recommended for flat in room response.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
I reccomend you re-measure with your main speakers on. This will more accurately represent the type of eq adjsutment you will need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks