Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any 'in hand' reviews of "The Critic" and "Dilbert" yet???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 06:27 AM

Call me paranoid if you like (ok fulike.. you're paranoid) but I'm becoming nervous on the release of these two. I have the full, unmolested run of both sitting on a 120gb HD (made from original airings) ready to be transformed into homemade DVD's but have been sitting on them since the 'rumblings' of their release came forth. But I'm seeing things that are starting to bother me.

Now, remember that these are (reasonably) recent shows (The Critic and Dilbert both edit down to ~22 minutes each sans commercials) so one would think that further trimming of them for broadcast on Comedy Central would be unnecessary, but I have noticed some odd 'trims' in some of the recent Dilbert showings, usually in things that could be considered 'subversive' by some people (the entire "Who do we really want to be President" sthick I detailed in another message for one).

It makes me wonder if there are going to be the FULL versions or some that have been 'politically corrected' (see: "Futurama" and "Family Guy" edits) or am I just being a worry wart?

Has anyone actually gotten these in hand for a review (looks at calendar with a release about 30 days out... waves hand in air to volunteer to critically review same for content as well as overall release if anyone want's a rookie reviewer)

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted December 29 2003 - 11:48 AM

What in Futurama or Family Guy was edited? I noticed nothing.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 01:06 PM

Family Guy had an Osama bin Ladin joke lifted in the first season.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   PienSavaca

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 01:15 PM

Futurama changed a mention of "JFK jr Airport" after his plane crash/ death.

Family Guy dropped a Osama Bin Laden comment in an airport/ metal detector scene.

Also, Sex and the City season 2 changed a JFK jr reference to "Leonardo DiCaprio". .... made... no... sense.... Leo is L.A., and JFK jr was all around NYC... where the show is set.

The Critic MAY have it's main titles changed, as it featured the WTC. Anybody have a "Mad about You" DVD set? It had similar main titles in its original airings.
"I got kissed... and, and, and I shoplifted."

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 04:17 PM

Friends has the WTC all over the place.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 05:26 PM

Futurama changed a mention of "JFK jr Airport" after his plane crash/ death.

At least they left the original line in the animatic for that episode.

Family Guy dropped a Osama Bin Laden comment in an airport/ metal detector scene.

Also removed was a scene with a JFK Pez dispenser being shot in the head. There were more changes too, which are listed in detail in other Family Guy threads. (Use "search".)

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 10:20 PM

WTC was not dropped from Mad About You, nor do I expect it to be dropped from The Critic.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
WTC was not dropped from Mad About You, nor do I expect it to be dropped from The Critic

Considering that the WTC opening is still in place on the airings on Comedy Central that didn't worry me too much (a little but that would have required changed to every episodes).

I am still concerned about the 'recent' trims that have been happening on Dilbert. And they are 'recent' since I have versions recorded a coupla of months before that have the bits in place (re: elections).

As an aside... Episode 1 of Dilbert, "The Name" is NOT broadcast on the Canadian service TeleToon because it "could be upsetting in the wake of the events of 9/11" (huh???), Neither is the "Infernal Wedding" episode of "The Ripping Friends" for the same reasons.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:02 AM

Quote:

I didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out. The scene is easily found all over the Internet; they're not stopping its release by not having it on the DVD.

Having only seen a few episodes I was going to eventually buy the first set. Now I'll pass. Posted Image

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 07:35 AM

Well, in a (weak) defense of the Osama being dropped, it HAS been removed from the versions showing now in syndication (I believe it was only in the 1st airing, BICBR). And Seth McFarlane was SUPPOSED to be on one of the planes that was hijacked. There are differing opinions on who removed it (some say FOX, some say Seth, some say Seth didn't care...).

PERSONALLY it should have at least been a deleted scene on the disc.. or they should have re-animated a new sequence (would have been funny to have Saddam doing show tunes).

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   RichD

RichD

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 11:15 AM

The UK edition of Family Guy on DVD has the unedited Osama scene. It's a lousy edition, otherwise, that came out long before we got Family Guy in R1.

Wonder if DVD sales of Dilbert could bring the show back to life? I thought some of the later episodes were amusing.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 11:37 AM

Quote:
Having only seen a few episodes I was going to eventually buy the first set. Now I'll pass.

While on principle I'm against censoring shows, as a big fan of Family Guy, I don't think that scene being deleted is enough of a reason to boycott the set. The show is too brilliant, and there are plenty of other "I can't believe they just said that!" moments in all of the episodes. You're denying yourself the chance to see some of the best episodic comedy/satire ever if you chose not to buy the set solely because of that edit.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted December 30 2003 - 01:22 PM

Josh, I know what you're saying. I'm sure I'd enjoy most of the episodes. It's just that this one was a borderline purchase (I don't buy many DVDs these days) and the censoring thing pushes it over the line to "no thanks" for me. Maybe I'll just rent 'em or something.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted December 30 2003 - 09:17 PM

McFarlaine addresses the removal of the comment in depth on the commentary for the DVD, and I didn't view it as censorship, since he was the creator and he wanted it removed. It wasn't done for political correctness sake (lord knows they don't care about that) instead it was done because they found it less-than-funny now, with all things considered.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 06:15 AM

McFarlaine addresses the removal of the comment in depth on the commentary for the DVD, and I didn't view it as censorship, since he was the creator and he wanted it removed. It wasn't done for political correctness sake (lord knows they don't care about that) instead it was done because they found it less-than-funny now, with all things considered.

I don't remember that on the commentary tracks, but if you haven't already, you should check out TVShowsOnDVD's interview with Seth MacFarlane. And their second interview with him.

In the first interview, he is asked about the missing Bin Laden scene:
I noticed "Road to Rhode Island"...there's some footage missing; an Osama bin Laden joke was cut.

There was some debate over that. I kinda stayed out of that debate because I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. There are arguments for keeping it in and arguments for taking it out. The argument to keep it in is that's how the show aired and it was broadcast this way and it aired two years before September 11, and so there's a bit of entertainment historical value there. And obviously the argument for taking it out was that because it was one of the biggest tragedies, there was some thought that it might bring down the rest of the episode when that comes up. There was some thought at one point of putting it on separately at the end, and that was really...I guess it was a legal decision that Fox made to leave it out. It's unfortunate in that it's a part of the episode that was produced and was aired and is sort of gone forever, but it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things.

Now, you were almost involved in that whole tragedy...

Yeah, that came up at one point. I said, "Look, I'm probably as close to that incident as anybody at Fox." There was one point where I was arguing to keep that scene in. Yeah, I was booked on that flight and I was drinking the night before and hung over and I missed the plane by about 10 minutes. It was a very close call for me.

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 04:03 PM

Quote:
Josh, I know what you're saying. I'm sure I'd enjoy most of the episodes. It's just that this one was a borderline purchase (I don't buy many DVDs these days) and the censoring thing pushes it over the line to "no thanks" for me. Maybe I'll just rent 'em or something.

At the least, yeah, I'd say rent them for the entertainment value. My personal feeling on the matter is that if one tiny little moment lasting mere seconds is deleted from one episode out of a four disc boxset, it's not worth refusing to buy the set over - particularly in this case where it would appear that Seth McFarlane didn't really have strong feelings about it one way or the other. And wasn't it removed for the syndication run, before DVDs were even put out? I could be wrong about that.

At any rate, I really think they did a top-notch job with both DVD sets, giving you the entire series over two box sets, both very reasonably priced, with some great commentaries, etc. I was especially pleased that the unaired "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein" episode was included in the DVD set - if you want to have a talk about censorship, I would say that Fox's decision to allow something on the DVD that they wouldn't allow on the air more than makes up for the Bin Laden thing.

Again, I'm not a fan of censorship, but I think there are times when you have to pick and choose your battles, and this one doesn't seem worth fighting.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 04:17 PM

Quote:
My personal feeling on the matter is that if one tiny little moment lasting mere seconds is deleted from one episode out of a four disc boxset, it's not worth refusing to buy the set over...

There was more than one "tiny little moment" removed. But as far as I know, the episodes on the second FG box set (season 3) were not edited.

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 10:36 AM

Quote:
There was more than one "tiny little moment" removed. But as far as I know, the episodes on the second FG box set (season 3) were not edited.

I didn't realize that - thanks for bringing that to my attention Jeff, I appreciate it.

Oh well.

I still laugh my ass off every time I see the show, so edited or not, I'm not parting with it. Most of my favorites are on the second box set (season three) anyhow, and I'm pretty sure those weren't edited.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 04:34 PM

First review of "The Critic," but it doesn't answer the question of edits. It does, however, give high marks to both the video and extras quality.

http://www.dvdmoviec...Text/critic.htm

The review mentions that the "Fun Facts," etc. that appeared before the Shockwave shorts, as the cartoon loaded, are included on each of the shorts on the DVD. Posted Image I've waited a while for this to come out on DVD, but Columbia seems to have made this release well worth the wait. Posted Image

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 04:44 PM

I remember watching the critic when i was like 7 or 8 years old. I think it ran Monday or Tuesday nights. I remember this being funny then, and I'm sure its even funnier now.
My favorites:

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow