What's new

new Spider-Man Deluxe Edition DVD out before Spider-Man 2 hits the screen (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

No, the New Line "strategy" involves letting people know in advance that two different releases will be made with different extras. What this is is basically cashing in on a sequel, which is generally frowned upon. And it's far from "essentially the same product"...

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
PaulP,

I agree completely.

What Columbia/Tristar is doing is nothing they haven't done before. MiB II and Stuart Little come to mind.
And, unlike the LotR releases, those reissues were essentially crap and not upgradeworthy (I think the main difference was a new featurette on the sequel), so hopefully this time a deluxe rerelease will actually deserve the name deluxe. I'm not holding my breath.

Chris

Eric Larsen

Agent
This would have to at least have that Tobey Maguire commentary that was previously available through that online event. Of course it will have something from the new movie..

Or maybe it will just include a film cell and a book.

Digital Bits had listed the previous version as being a bit lacking. Maybe it will include more on the comic history. That Stan Lee disc was nice though.

Did that lawsuit with Stan Lee ever get worked out?

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read that quote. The absolute key to why people are so happy with New Line I think has to do with their honesty as much as the quality of the releases. I like knowing what is coming down the pipe for these releases.

That being said, I would love a 3 disc set along the lines of the Black Hawk Down set, just packed with extras.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
It would be great to see a feature on Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man but that is very unlikely indeed.

I would guess that it is the Tobey Maguire commentary that will be added.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Somehow I'm thinking that it will mainly be re-packaged from the previous 2-disc set, taking some stuff out from that first set and adding in some Spider-Man 2 promo fluff.

As long as they took out all of the unnecessary Smith footage, that would be fine with me. Otherwise, no double dip.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yup - if this Spider-Man disc does materialize, it follows the CTS strategy: milk every movie for as many releases as possible...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I am a "fan" of Superbits, but I agree New Line's strategy is much different than Columbia's. The writer and person quoted for that article don't seem to really understand the differences going on here.

Note the article never mentions the word "Superbit" but considering the word "Deluxe" is used with some of them, it seems more than likely it will be a Superbit.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Cripes... and I just got the Spider-man limited edition box set a while ago. Anyone know if it would be wise to ditch this for the upcoming re-re-release? I try to minimize double-dipping unless I can't avoid getting the ideal set. I'm weird like that.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

The person quoted, Judith McCourt, is the director of marketing research for Video Store magazine. She specializes in statistics and sales numbers related to the DVD industry. Her quote is odd, though, because she's basically saying that people will buy the same product as long as it's different.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

It's beyond odd. It's incorrect and misinformed --- especially from such an "expert." But, maybe she was misquoted.

The more I think about this, I am wondering about something. Has anyone noticed there have been no new Superbits announced for some time, and the article failed to mention "Superbit" with this new Deluxe Spider-Man that's coming. Is Columbia still doing Superbits?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
they did release a superbit of spider-man in japan.. which is region 2.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks