-

Photo
- - - - -

Athenas, help please.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted December 28 2003 - 11:54 PM

I'm looking at the Athena line of speakers. I cannot fully replace all of my speakers at once, however, I can replace the mains, and maybe the center.

As far as I can hear, the AS-B1 5.5" speakers are better than the smaller Point 5 4" bookshelfs. Thoughts? Are the AS-B1s the 'Audition Series'? Sorry if this has been beaten to death!!!

I'll mate them with the AS-C1 as soon as possible. After that, I'll buy surrounds or replace the mains and move the old mains to surround.

Also, does anyone know where I can pick up a pair for cheaper than the Best Buy price?? Thanks!!

BTW this is for HT played through a low end Denon receiver.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   jon_ad

jon_ad

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:11 AM

Not sure about a cheaper price than BB but they are on sale this week. I think about 10 dollars off.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeremy:L

Jeremy:L

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:44 AM

I'll be buying mine from either OneCall.com or AudioAdvisor.com just so I'm not supporting Best Buy...

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:59 AM

Curretnly on sale in Canada on the future shop website.

Just bought my AS-F2s for $600 CanadianPosted Image

Brent

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 03:01 AM

Thanks guys.
So I am assuming that I was on target with the AS-B1's being better than the Point5 speakers?
I would rather not purchase from BB either, but it'll be a heck of a lot easier to return if they end up not meshing well with everything else.

Anybody else want to weigh in with opinions of the Athena line?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Garver

Jason Garver

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 07:21 AM

I just purchased a pair of AS-F2s, the AS-C1, and a pair of AS-B2s. I've only had them for 3 days so they aren't even broken in yet. They already sound great, even with my crappy Sony receiver. Im now saving for a Harmon Kardon AVR-630 which will make them even better.

I dont think you will be disappointed with them. IMO the Athena Audition line sounded better than anything else Best Buy offered. I know this isnt saying a lot, but they sounded better than the JBL, Klipsch, Yamaha and Bose that I listened to.

The great thing about home theater is that you can buy whatever sounds/looks good to you. On a budget I think that you will be very pleased.

Im not very familiar with Denon receivers but be warned, the Athenas are a bit bright which is why Im going with the HK receiver.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Lee M T

Lee M T

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 08:01 AM

You are correct Adam. The Audition line is better than the Point 5 series. And the AS-B1 are apart of the Audition Series. I'm by no means a speaker expert, but I am a musician and I know when something sounds bad. I personally love Athena products. Actually, I like everything under the API name. API is the mom and dad of Athena, Energy, and Mirage. Interestingly, when it came down to narrow my search, these three companies were left standing. B&W bookshelves were not mag shielded, Paradigm's were rear ported, Klipsch horns were a deterrent since I own a Yamaha receiver. I ended up with Mirage Omni 60's. The one reason I went with Mirage was because of price, I got their largest bookshelf for half off. Energy was a strong consideration, and I would probably have went that route if it weren't for the price I got on the Mirage bookshelves. Athena was my third choice, only because I would have wanted the AS-F2 towers, and I just wasn't sure if the center channel would have enough oomph to compete. It probably would have, but it's all in the past now. I think the AS-B1's are fine speakers. I would probably get them at Best Buy too. As you said, it would definatly be easier to take them back there.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the friendly responses.
I'm went to BB tonight and heard the b1's, the b2's weren't hooked up, but they sounded decent. I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks for helping a bit of a newbie!!

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Garver

Jason Garver

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 04:25 PM

After hearing both the B1s and B2s I definitely think the B2s are worth the upgrade cost. I couldnt be any happier with mine. I plan on getting another pair of B2s when I get a new receiver with 7.1 capabilities.