What's new

front speakers through subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

ChrisHall

Auditioning
excuse the "newb" question, but what are the benefits of hooking up the front right/left speakers through the subwoofer. in the manual, it says if i do this to turn the subwoofer to the off position?? seems a bit strange to me. i do however have 2 active subwoofers, so maybe i will just hook the fronts up to the other sub that is just serving as "decoration" :P unless there's a way to hook up 2 subs, hehe.

just wondering..

chris

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you mean in the receiver manual? Yes, you would want to tell the receiver you have no sub if you only had one sub hooked up off the main speakers, otherwise the bass could get sent to the "sub out" to which you have no sub connected.

So if I understand you right, you have one sub off the sub out, and want to connect a second? The easiest way is probably to get a y-adapter, and connect both off the subwoofer output.

You could, though, also leave the one sub connected at the sub out, and connect the other using the speaker-level connections, so that you can bypass any bass management, and any possible A-D, D-A conversion that would degrade the sound, and be getting all the bass out of the mains+sub.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Chris. Welcome to HTF!

There are 2 ways to hook up a sub. The older, traditional way was to 'pretend' you simply had 2 full-range speakers. Running speaker wire to the sub, then from the sub to the L/R speakers.

This is why the manual says to say you DONT have a sub - you have simply created 2 large speakers.

A cheaper, easier way is to use the LFE/Subwoofer output with a RCA cable.

No - I dont advise hooking 2 subs up 2 different ways.

Put both subs in the same location (to avoid complex interactions). Run a single RCA cable to that location. Buy a inexpensive "Y" adaptor and 2 short RCA cables and use this to split the signal to the 2 subs. (You can also split the signal as it comes out of the reciever, but then you need 2 long cables to go to the subs).

If you search the Speakers and Subwoofer fourm for "Dual Subs", you will find that this advice is fairly standard for a dual-sub configuration.

Enjoy your stay.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Just my $.02, but I have tried both methods. Until this past week I had my mains connected through my sub. A few recommendations said this was the best way, however I never really felt like I was getting good volume or response from my sub. So when I purchased a new AV rack and had to run all my cables again and set it all back up, I tried connecting the sub through the SUB out on my reciever via coax RCA cable. INSTANTLY I noticed much better response and volume. FINALLY the Deeping Wall scene in TTT made my floor rumble! Like Bob said, this method is MUCH easier as well. One cable, as opposed to eight. I also agree that when connecting two subs, hook them both up the same way and either stack them on top of each other or put them side by side.

ChrisHall

Auditioning
i just want to add 2 subs are the shiznit! :P ahh, 235watts of bass in a 10x10 room :P

granted its not up there with you big dogs, but i've got a rather small budget (college kid)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks