Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Documentaries on DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Nathan Spillman

Nathan Spillman

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 03 2001 - 03:05 AM

I'm looking for some interesting documentary titles that have been released on DVD. Based on experience in here, what are some of the best releases so far based on presentation, subject matter, and rewatchability?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan Spillman

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted October 03 2001 - 03:14 AM

Carl Sagen's Cosmos series is on DVD. It is expensive because it's an 8-disc set, but well well worth it. and...

My god, it rules.

Plus, if your creepy like me, then you might enjoy
A&E's Serial Killers: Profiling the Criminal Mind.

For dinosaurs: When Dinosaurs Ruled (5-pack)

------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)

My Home Page http://www.geocities...ternix/DVD.html

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Kenneth

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted October 03 2001 - 03:29 AM

I have enjoyed "The Planets" and "Walking with Dinosaurs". The A&E sets are also quite nice. They currently have two volumes of Mysteries of the Bible and Civil War Journal. They recently released Ancient Mysteries which has Dragons, Atlantis, Camelot, and the Holy Grail as the episodes. Stephen Hawking's Universe is good, as is the previously mentioned Cosmos.

Cheers,

Kenneth

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted October 03 2001 - 03:47 AM

Criterion has released the following three Maysles Bros. docs: Grey Gardens; Salesman; Gimme Shelter. Very highly recommended.

Criterion has also released the great docu on the Apollo missions, For All Mankind, and Flaherty's seminal silent, Nanook of the North.

From Docurama comes the Pennebaker classic Don't Look Back. I wrote a review of this one that can be found here. Also very highly recommended.

Marcel Ophuls' brilliant film about the Nazi occupation of France, The Sorrow and the Pity is available on a 2-disc set from New Yorker.

Short: 3 (fka "Short Cinema Journal, Vol. 3) includes Alain Resnais classic documentary on the Holocaust, Night and Fog. It's one of various titles in this collection which you can pick up for only $10-12.

------------------
"Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere."
Posted Image
Al's DVD Collection

[Edited last by Al Brown on October 03, 2001 at 10:57 AM]
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users