What's new

South Park Season 3: Different Language Versions in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Before Christmas I picked up South Park Season 3. However, I got it from one of the Wal-Marts that keep their boxed sets in a locked cabinet, and I was in the Electronics section right around closing time, so I was in a bit of a hurry. So, unfortunately I didn't look the package over that closely. When I got home, I realized that underneath the "THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON" tag, it says "(version française)". (This means "French version".)

Now, I know that Paramount took over the releases of these sets, and I know that Paramount uses bilingual packaging. However, I would have expected it to say something like "la troisième saison complète" or somesuch if this was just a standard bilingual package.

Can anyone else in Canada who purchased South Park Season 3 tell me if all the Canadian versions say "version française"? The text on the back of the packaging is in both English and French, but if this is truly a "French Version" with menus in French or something like that, then I'd rather take it back to the store before I open it, and exchange it for the version anglaise! ;)

Thanks in advance for any info!

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Paramount always print "version française" under the title, if the French title of a film (or in this case TV show) is the same as in the US. For example, my Candian DVDs of Serpico and Abandon both say version française under the title, but the discs are the same as in the US, complete with English menus and all.
Admittedly, it's confusing, but then again I prefer it to the title being printed twice on the front and spine like Universal does (e.g.: Midnight Run Midnight Run (version française)

Chris

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
On an aside, why would a company want to hinder the purchase of a product by a consumer by having it locked away? Doesn't make sense to me. I understand the shrink problems, but still...

Anyway, are there multiple versions of the disc in Canada? I thought, though I could be wrong, that there were French language tracks on the US version.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Thanks very much for the info regarding Paramount's "version française" tag. Most of the stuff I've bought from them has had an actual translation of the title (eg - The Hunt for Red October / à la Poursuite d'Octobre Rouge ), so I guess I never picked up on that one. Glad I don't have to fight the holiday crowds to return it! ;)

Justin,

I really have no idea. I've only seen this at Wal-Mart. We have three Wal-Mart locations here: one locks the box sets up, one doesn't, and the third one I don't frequent, so I don't know. I find it to be a bit of a pain. (Admittedly, both locations have been doing this for console games for a very long time.) I don't usually buy my box sets from that Wal-Mart for just that reason... but in this case it was the end of the day, Wal-Mart had the cheapest price around, and I was already there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks