What's new

Horror on DVD Discussion (1 Viewer)

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

This is a new thread in a similar vein as the old Horror/Gore shopping list threads. Lets discuss all aspects of horror films on DVD including disc reviews (picture, sound, extras, etc.), new release news, opinions on the genre in general and also its treatment on DVD.

I look forward to hearing from some of you,

Jacob

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
As part of the horror contingent on the forum, I'm down. Of course I don't have anything to say right now, but good idea for a thread! :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I got Body Melt on DVD a few weeks back. That's one fucked up movie. It was so odd, I'm not even sure I liked it yet. It did have some really nasty shit in it though, and being the seasoned horror fanatic I am, I don't get grossed out too often. Anyways, the transfer is fullframe, but that's how it was shot, and the transfer is pretty decent.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to say its an acquired taste. Some people love it, others hate it. As I said, its got some weird shit. I'd recommend renting first if possible.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I love weird stuff, as well as just about everything else (check out my collection). I also buy a lot of blind films(316 at last check).
Have you seen any Miike's films? boy what a mindf*** that guy is. I'd recommend checking out Audition, there's a disturbing movie!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think weird is good too. Some people don't though. Anyways, I have seen several Miike films, Audition and Happiness of the Katakuris being my favorites. Just acquired Visitor Q on DVD recently.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I too enjoy Miike's work, though I find many of his films require repeat viewings since there is just so much going on. "Ichi the Killer" is a prime example of this, and is also a film that I highly recommend (uncut version). "Dead or Alive" started out wonderfully and really did end with a bang, but the middle section dragged a bit to this viewer. I have "Dead or Alive 2" and "Dead or Alive: Final" to view soon and will let you know what I think. Much of Miike's work, thankfully, is available from Netflix; though if you have liked anything he has done, I highly recommend purchase of "Ichi". It has a great deal of replay value in my opinion.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of horror flicks do you dig? This discussion has already brought in Miike and some other weird Japanese stuff like Guinea Pig. As far as definitive DVD releases of horror films, what are your favorites? Here are some of mine:

1) Hellraiser/Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 LE - Hellraiser is my personal favorite horror film. The idea of it terrifies me long after the movie is over.
2) Re-Animator: Millenium Edition - Anybody know when more Millenium Editions are coming out?!?!?!
3) Night of the Living Dead: Millenium Edition
4) Suspiria: LE
5) The Toolbox Murders: Blue Underground rules! If you don't believe me search for the thread.
6) Meat Market - Anybody else out there love this little gem and/or Sub Rosa Studios?
7) The Beyond: LE
8) Dead and Buried: LE
9) Day of the Dead: Divimax
10) The Hills Have Eyes

I don't think you could have a much better edition of the films above than what is currently available.

How about flicks that need definitive editions? I know you all have about a kajillion. Here are mine:
1) The Fly (Cronenberg) - I've read it here somewhere before, Criterion could knock this out of the park. "Naked Lunch" is a stellar package.
2) House of 1000 Corpses - I may be in the minority since I actually liked this film a great deal, but I can't wait for the uncut edition that Rob Zombie has talked about in the past.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I love horror movies. The first horror movie I remember seeing was Poltergeist when I was about 4. It was on HBO early in the morning one day, and I watched it without anyone knowing, because everyone was sleeping and I used to be an early bird. After I watched some of it, I went in and woke up my mom and said "they're here." She freaked out because she didn't know what I was talking about. She then realized where I got it from when she saw what I was watching on TV.

Since that day I've loved horror movies. Some of my favorites are Halloween 1 and 2, Zombie, Hellraiser 1-4, Dead Alive/Braindead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead '90, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Birds, Psycho, Creepshow, Jaws, Killer Klowns From outer Space, The Shining, Return of the Living Dead, and The Lost Boys. I know I gotta see more older, foreign, and idependent horror movies though.

I think the Friday the 13th series Dead Alive/Braindead are 2 that need better versions. There are more, but those are the ones that comwe to mind first.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! "Dead Alive" is a must for a definitive edition, as is "Meet the Feebles". "Bad Taste" can be added to the list of well done editions.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I need to get Visitor Q and the second 2 Dead or Alive's. And pretty much whatever else I can dig up. I own Audition, Ichi(Uncut), Happiness of the Katikuris, Dead or Alive(R-rated, picked it up cheap used to check out), City of Lost Souls, and Fudoh: The New Generation. I recommend them all, but I think he is an acquired taste to be sure.

Someone mentioned Dead Alive? I'd love a definitive version under the Braindead title! I've been seeing rumors of a new Feebles release, but no dates....

I can't wait for the Dawn of the Dead being released next year(not the remake, although I'll probably end up checking it out) Warner did a nice job releasing some classics this year: The Thing from ANother World, Omega Man.

ANyone seen Attic Expeditions with Seth Green and Jeffrey Combs? That's a decent little flick.

And not to keep bringing up Asian horror, although there is a lot of good stuff there, how about Battle Royale? Amazing movie. or how about Bio-Zombie? If Kevin Smith made a horror flick it might be something like this....

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Cool thread. In an effort to keep my contributions DVD-related (this feels like a Movies Forum thread), I'll share with you the Horror DVDs I currently own.

An American Werewolf in London
The Blair Witch Project
Christine
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
The Fly
/ The Fly 2
The Fog
Frailty
Friday the 13th
From Dusk Till Dawn
Gremlins
Halloween
Hellraiser
The Hills Have Eyes
The Howling
Jaws
May
Near Dark
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Omen
Phantasm
Ravenous
Scream
Seven
Session 9
The Silence of the Lambs
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
('74)
The Thing

That's not that big of a list for such a hardcore horror freak like me, but my DVD shelf is an exclusive place. I have to really like a movie to purchase it. Not like all you rich DVD freekz out there who buy six new releases each Tuesday. Like Lambert. :D

Beyond Re-Animator hits today, and I thought it was a lot of goopy fun, and a WHOLE lot better than the rather tiresome Bride of Re-Animator. (Plus dorky-ass me got quoted on the back of the DVD case for calling the flick "A Blood-Spattered Hoot!")

Upcoming Horror DVDs I'll be purchasing or renting:

Tremors 4 - The original Tremors is one that deserves to be in my collection, but for some reason Universal always had it at a rather hefty price. But apparently the original movie is going to be sold alongside the third sequel, so you get 2-for-1. Odds are Part 4 will hit eBay before too long, but I'm looking forward to more Graboids.

Underworld - It was kind of a disappointment, but I'll give it a second shot via Netflix.

Freddy vs. Jason - Same as above. A relative disappointment, but a second visit (with extras) is surely in order.

Cabin Fever - Loved it. Will purchase immediately. Five commentaries. Should be fun.

The Returner - Heard some interesting things. Looking forward to it.

Dawn of the Dead - I want the swankier one.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Against all my predictions, I really enjoyed the remake.

And I'm still waiting for the DVDs of The Hole and My Little Eye. Two damn good movies if it's me yer askin'. ;)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Here's a lesser known horror title you may want to check out... Shock Waves (1977) from Blue Underground starring Peter Cushing and John Carradine.

It's cheap, but very effective and moody. The zombies are fantastic and the sets and locations are equally creepy.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I already have DVDs of both The Hole and My Little Eye. Both are excellent films, especially My Little Eye, which is one of the main films that made me decide to buy a region free player. It was damn well worth it too, as the R2 My Little Eye SE is packed with some fantastic in-depth features, and the red casing looks wonderful. Its easily one of the crowning DVDs of my collection. As for The Hole, I got the Canadian SE almost two years ago. Great little gem of a film, and the DVD was well worth the trouble of ordering from a Canadian online retailer.

I have to agree that Shock Waves is a great and underseen little gem. Really eerie, and the island atmosphere is very strong. Don't go in expecting a zombie gorefest though. This film is more about mood, atmosphere, and downright creepiness.

Anyways, as of right now, my most anticipated DVD is Cabin Fever. A damn good film that I consider a new classic, and its my favorite horror film since the masterful Blair Witch back in 1999. And of course there is also the gorgeous Cerina Vincent, who just may be the hottest woman on the planet. Can't wait to get the DVD!

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping you'd show up here Justin, it's good to hear from you! That is a very nice collection you have there. I too am eagerly awaiting Cabin Fever, and also the extras on the Freddy vs Jason disc (that flick had so many possibilities, and I'm interested to see what gets discussed).

Anybody heard anything about new Millenium Editions from Elite? I Spit on Your Grave was a while ago.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Returner is a very cool movie, though I wouldn't call it horror, it's pure science fiction. I picked up a good R0 copy awhile back.

I've seen Shock Waves on the shelf, maybe I'll check it out.

Ginger Snaps is good, but the R1(US) release is lousy. I think I may spring for the Canadian release.

The last horror DVD I got was: Alien Quadrilogy and before that: The Suicide Club.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Should I get the new Alien set? I only have Alien and Aliens from the earlier releases, and never saw 3 and 4.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
The new Alien Quadrilogy is excellent. I have seen all the expanded versions on the discs and have been very pleased with the video and audio quality although on Alien3, there are times near the end of the film when subtitles kick in because the audio is hard to hear. You are warned at the beginning of the film that that is the case though. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks