What's new

What color for home theater? (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Well, after living in my new home for almost 2 years that came with a home theater room (about 16 x 16 (I know, dimensions are not right)), I have decided to paint it and put in movie posters and what not.

My question is..I know that dark colors are best (currently have two shades of very light brown with a beige carpet), but what colors do you think are the best?

I'm aware that black would be the most sane answer, but the WAF will probably prevent that.

So.......any sugestions, preferances, or ideas?

Thanks,

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've read several posts on other forums, that folks with projectors seem to prefer a medium gray color. Doesn't reflect light as bad.....

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
With the lights off, will anyone care about anything but whats on the screen?

With that in mind I wanted to do the room in Mopar 'Sublime Green' automotive paint. But the GF said no, so I painted it Glidden 'Cosmos Blue'. I just get sick of off-white/beige.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I've always liked theater rooms that are painted a nice deep red or burgundy. It looks great when people are filing in and when a movie is playing it appears to be black.

Stew

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I went with a darkish Teal (yes sounds strange). At first I wasn't sure, so I painted just one wall (25l x 10h) with a satin texture, and I got endless compliments on it, so that's what I went with. My second choice would be a nice medium grey

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the ideas.

GARRETT - when the lights are off and the movie is running, I can't help but notice the off white walls and ceiling. A darker color will minimize this.

Which brings me to another question.......Should I paint the ceiling the same color or leave it?

Thanks,

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Mine has a black drop ceiling and burgundy walls. When the lights are off and the movies is playing the walls appear black. Also has a nice warm feeling when the lights are on. Kind of like when your in a real movie theater 30 mins early and they still have the lights on.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Derek,

I'd use the colors you show in your post for the specific applications just as they are listed.

Cool choices; will go a long way in promoting accurate reproduction of color and B&W material...

-THTS

darren_s

Agent
Those colors would make the room like a dungen, I agree with dark red or burgundy nice warm colors.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

The point is to try to minimize introducing unwanted colors onto the screen, especially with Front Projectors. As the image is projected onto the screen in a totally dark room the light is reflected back to the viewer as well as to the walls, the ceiling, etc. A grey wall does a nice job not reflecting back most color (which is why it's grey) so it tends to minimize the reintroduction of reflected colors onto the screen. Of course, black would reflect nothing, but lots of people don't want to live with a black room.

I like the idea of the colors that Derek has chosen for his HT. True, they are shades of grey and black, but there is nothing to stop you from using other colors for the seating, any drapes, etc. to provide the color accents that make a room more attractive without introducing a palette of reflective colors into the viewing experience.

And the bottom line is, of course, to do what pleases you. It's your money and your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks