What's new

Is there a wife who doesn't turn the volume down? (1 Viewer)

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys. I am just wondering if there is a wife out there who doesn't moan of you having the volume too high when watching your favorite movie on your HT.
I always have to wait for her to be out of the house or sleep so I can sit down and enjoy the blessings of HT at any volume I please.

Stelios

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I don't have a wife but my girlfriend never complains. She actually enjoys the rumble and such. The more realistic the better I think she likes it. Anyways, i'm happy my girlfriend appreciates what I do, most people say why the hell do you need all that crap anyways.

Kinda pisses me off.

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
She actually enjoys the rumble and such
Lucky her...Reenforce your sofa Chris...lol

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
With most women, it's a perception thing. My wife use to complain about how loud the sound was when watching movies on a 47" rear projection TV. Then I installed a front projection system and now have a 90" LB screen. Now she doesn't complain because the sound matches the screen size.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think my wife knows how to turn down the volume herself... I keep her confused by surrounding myself with all of the remotes. If she complains, I can't hear her... ;)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
lol Lee-M

I once got a jpeg picture of my remote control, blew it up, and put instructions on the button sequence on how to turn everything on with the remote and set the source to the tv or the dvd player....

i gave it to my girlfriend, she tried it once, and threw it out, she said i am my stuff are stupid...

Rich

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
My wife will want the TV volume turned down (usually the kids blast it) but in our HT, with front projection etc she likes the movie theatre feel.

- Jack

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My daughter and I both listen to a lot of music, and actually she's the one asking ME "Do you really need to have it that loud?" :D

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I just wait for my wife to go to sleep ... like a log, even with a CS Ultra. My kids are the same :emoji_thumbsup: .

Doug

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
My wife is constantly turning down the volume. :thumbsdown:

She says that when we get a house, I can have a "special" room and blast it as loud as I want, which of course is her way of saying 'buy me a damn house!'. :D

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
This thread is great! I just got done watching another movie on my system and my wife for the 100th time said "does it have to be that loud?". I said , "Yes...yes it does"

It's funny, it's not like we would wake up neighbors or our kids (cause we don't have any), and really it's not that loud. When I'm with a buddy or by myself, it's almost twice as loud.

I'm gonna get her some ear muffs for a late Christmas present!:emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Actually my aunt asks "does it have to be this loud" when watching something like Saving Private Ryan or Band Of Brothers in the battle scenes. Before I can respond, usually my older cousin will be sitting on the couch with me and he will respond "yes it does", she will simply walk away all pissed off because she feels she will go deaf over it, yet it hasn't even reached reference levels.

Either way, I just appreciate that my girlfriend likes it, if she didn't I would be in the shitter. :frowning:

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny...sometimes when I'm watching something she will ASK me to "lower it"...YET when we are watching movies together she will TELL me to "crank it"...Don't even get me started on when she's watching movies on her own;) ...

I really can't complain,she's pretty good about the volume.

I think she's about to turn the corner in our "HT relationship"...I overheard a conversation with one of her friends telling her to come over and watch "LXG"..."The Right Way"...I was so proud:D ...

She's even starting to use the word "anamorphic"...

One day at a time,one day at a time...

Michael S

Agent
Stelios--not only does my wife fuss at me that "our" HT is too damned loud, she will also fuss about the volume when we go see a movie at a movie theater. Therefore, to keep peace in the family, I have to wait until she is at work (I am retired) or making one of her many trips to Target or Wally World in order to enjoy watching movies at reasonable SPLs at home. She really hates my subwoofers! Her version of a HT would be a single three inch speaker and a 4 inch black and white TV.

Michael S.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I guess I am one of the lucky ones, my wife never complains about the volume. But then again it may be only because she knows there is no point in complaining, cause I ain't about to turn it down. :)

Sanjay

Shane Morales

Second Unit
If I start up a movie with lots of bass and my wife isn't around, she'll coming running down and jump in her seat "What're we watching?"

She did that with U-571. She got home from shopping when the depth charge scene was going on and she ran into the room "holy sh!t, what am I missing?" Had to start the movie over.

But she does tell me to turn it down "a bit", especially if I'm listening to music.

When my wife is around, my receiver's volume knob is politely fixed somewhere between 9-o-clock and 10-o-clock. It's a good compromise in volume because I can still hear all of the dialogue and high and low frequencies of the movie soundtrack or music, but it's by no means house-shaking. If it goes any louder, she often stomps into the room and turns the volume down, or she'll storm upstairs and dramatically slam a door to communicate her frustration.

I have a theory that generally most women's ears are not tuned to the same harmonic frequency as men's ears. The result is that sounds and frequencies that may be aurally pleasing to males might not be aurally pleasing to females. In fact, they might be irritating. I can't really think of any other reason why high end audio is so much more frequented by males than females and why so many women I know cover their ears like dogs at the slightest hint of any sound coming from a home theater.

On my annoyance scale of 1-10, with one being the least annoying, the over-sensitivity of my wife's hearing is about a 6. The only reason this number isn't higher is because I am certain that on HER annoyance scale, the very existence of my home theater system is around a 9.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"Is there a wife who doesn't turn the volume down?"

My wife would ask, "Is there a husband who puts the toilet seat down?"

For every action, there is an equal and opposite action that annoys the other spouse. - Einstein

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks