What's new

Family Guy season 1/2 picture issues..did they fix for 3? (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
judging by the DVDFILE.com review, there's nothing wrong with my discs or my player - THE FAMILY GUY boxed set part 1 looks VERY strange. Jaggies EVERYWHERE when there is any movement onscreen.

I was wondering - did they fix this problem with the season 3 box?

thanks

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
judging by the DVDFILE.com review, there's nothing wrong with my discs or my player - THE FAMILY GUY boxed set part 1 looks VERY strange. Jaggies EVERYWHERE when there is any movement onscreen.

I was wondering - did they fix this problem with the season 3 box?

thanks
This problem you speak of was caused by the way the show was originally edited. (So it looked this way when it originally aired, too.) There is a more in depth discussion in one of the other Family Guy threads.

Also note that some of episodes in the Season 1&2 set are edited (also discussed in more detail in other threads.) As far as I know, nothing was removed from the season 3 episodes.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
It should show up even with Faroudja, the jaggies aren't problems with the DVD or the player... The original source was like that...

It occurs when you try to slow down or freeze frame digital video... Some frams the animators in Korea didnt have enough, so when editing they had to extend or freeze some frames, ususally int hebackground, creating the jaggies...

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes, I know exactly what people are talking about but it isn't all that noticable, especially if you have a good player.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Quote:
Yes, I know exactly what people are talking about but it isn't all that noticable, especially if you have a good player.

But...but...it isn't player related.

Neil

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The "Jaggies" are produced when interlaced frames are used as freeze frames. The producers needed to slow down some of the sequences so some of the frames were paused over a few frames. In order to freeze interlaced frames (without flickering), they pretty much just double the lines of an interlaced frame. This process makes angled lines look odd. This is often referred to as "stair stepping" because angled lines look like stair steps because of their jaggedness.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
well i got through the first disc and some episodes seem virtually free of the problem, others (like the first episode) are riddled with jaggies.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
For anyone wondering, you can find pics of what the problem looks like here .

As stated earlier, it is not a problem with the player.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Ryan: That's NOT the problem they're discussing. The problem they're discussing (as I understand it) is the one mentioned in the commentaries... it only happens when they're "pausing" the image... ie nothing is moving. It happens a few times during a show usually. It can be distracting unfortunately :frowning:

Ryan FB

Second Unit
John:
From the original poster's Quote:
Jaggies EVERYWHERE when there is any movement onscreen. The pics I posted are of this movement artifacting in the source material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks