-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Green Hornet TV series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 Leon Liew

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 02:44 PM

Any inking of DVD release for The Green Hornet TV series.
Since there are many TV series releases in DVD any chance
of it likely to materialize. It would be great if it does
come out on DVD. Any comments from anyone ?

#2 of 77 Paul Drake

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 02:58 PM

There have been some inkling of plans for a new motion picture for this character so it's always possible that if the picture is made, the TV (which only lasted one season) will get released. I haven't heard anything official though.

I've been watching it lately on the Encore Action channel. In my opinion, it is nowhere near as good as "Batman", which could explain why it didn't last beyond the one season. I do think the episodes did improve as the season went along. Of course, the "camp" factor isn't as strong here as in "Batman".

#3 of 77 Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 03:03 PM

I'd love to see a movie made of this, with Jason Statham as the Green Hornet, and Jet Li as Kato Posted Image

And the TV show would be welcome too Posted Image

Chris

#4 of 77 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 03:04 PM

Comment: put a question mark in your subject to indicate that you have an inquiry, rather than an announcement!

Green Hornet is tied up in legal issues concerning rights and ownership, and unless it's been cleared up all of a sudden I don't expect to see it on DVD anytime too soon.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 77 Leon Liew

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 03:13 PM

Well it would be great if a movie is indeed in the works, but frankly 'Kato' is hard to replace. Nothing beats the
original 'Kato' roled by the late Bruce Lee.

#6 of 77 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted December 25 2003 - 02:16 AM

thanks for the update David

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 77 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 25 2003 - 04:14 AM

Quote:
I'd love to see a movie made of this, with Jason Statham as the Green Hornet, and Jet Li as Kato

You're half on target.. the buzz surrounding the possible movie has Jet Li for Kato and Greg Kinnear for Brit Reed.

#8 of 77 Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted December 25 2003 - 12:03 PM

I would buy this series when it becomes available. There's was a release by Brentwood entertainment on DVD, but the quality is pretty spotty, and the release was just the old 70's Hong Kong movie "The Green Hornet Movie" culled from old episodes to make a story?

I hope Miramax (they bought the rights from Universal)can pull off the new movie soon! If John Kinnear is unable maybe John Stamos could take his spot, then again why did I even suggest that!

#9 of 77 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,274 posts

Posted December 26 2003 - 04:24 AM

So I guess my DVD Recording off the Action Channel is the way to go, at least they are uncut. Plus if I remember correctly they widescreened that Brentwood DVD for some reason. Another interesting series on Action is Combat and on the Encore Mystery Channel I've been Tivoing Night Gallery I saw one of my favorite eps of the show that scared the Bejesus out of me as a Kid, it starred Bill Bixby and was called "Last Rites of a Dead Druid" that statue scared the crap out of me and the ep still held up.
For alot of these shows DVDR will do me.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#10 of 77 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 26 2003 - 06:48 AM

There's one problem with the copies of The Green Hornet currently available for broadcast. On "Beautiful Dreamer" parts 1 and 2, the 'ending' is missing on part 1 and the 'beginning' is missing on part 2. That is to say that the end of part 1 is missing the "next week" preview of part 2 and part 2 does not have the "last week on" recap of part 1. Instead part one has the resolution of the 'cliffhanger' tacked on to it (completely ruining the cliffhanger) and part 2 does a cold opening straight into the credits! This is completely different from the other two parters they had ("Corpse of the Year" and "Invasion from Outer Space").

I haven't seen the Encore Action airing of these two eps as of yet (have seen a couple), so I can't say for certain that they have this problem also, but the copies airing on SPACE:The Imagination Station (Canada) are like this.. and their prints are VASTLY better than the prints Encore is showing (from what I've seen..) The Encore prints look dirty and muddy (to me), the SPACE prints are bright, clean and clear.

#11 of 77 mark-edk

mark-edk

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted December 26 2003 - 10:18 AM

Re: the "Beautiful Dreamer" cliffhanger: The show's episode format was a teaser, Act I, Act II, then a short epilogue. The other two-parters on Action all followed that format, just like the standalone episodes (although the recaps that replace the teasers for part two are not there, if there were recaps originally). I thought it strange that there would be a resolution of the cliffhanger at that point, but it's consistent with the formatting of all the other episodes.

Also, the Action transfers to me look beautiful--bright colors, sharp transfers, the best I've ever seen them. At least that's how they look on DirecTV.

#12 of 77 Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted December 27 2003 - 04:25 AM

Sorry, just can't see Greg Kinnear in the lead role, but it could be one of those things that sounds bad on paper and works wonderfully on screen. I did like Kinnear in "Dear God" (which by the way needs a DVD release).

Didn't know they showed this on Action (had the channel for over a year but rarely look at the listings). What time does it normally show?

Chris

#13 of 77 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 27 2003 - 05:30 AM

off topic: Dear God DVD release on 1/27!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#14 of 77 Paul Drake

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted December 27 2003 - 05:53 AM

Quote:
Didn't know they showed this on Action (had the channel for over a year but rarely look at the listings). What time does it normally show?

2 back to back episodes are shown Saturday mornings at 7:00 am central/8:00 am Eastern on the main Starz Action Channel. If you have the West Coast version it shows at 10:00 am central/11:00 am Eastern.

You're in luck. They finished the first go-through of the series this morning. Starting next Saturday they'll run through the 26 episode series again starting at episodes 1 and 2.

Encore has a website that lists all of the programming for their speciality channels. You may want to check that for more information.

#15 of 77 Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted April 24 2004 - 05:49 AM

A true cult series. Does this show also have the same rights issues problem as Batman? Will that prevent it's release? No big deal as it is running on Encore now (although minus the In COLOR open and the scenes from upcoming shows)

#16 of 77 Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor

• 663 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 01:14 AM

Hornet is indeed tied up in rights issues...

On top of that, with the possible feature film being issued from another company other than Fox, don't hold your breath on seeing this on DVD anythime soon.
Check out - CONFESSION

Coming Soon to the Dare To Direct CHILLERTV contest!

#17 of 77 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
...with the possible feature film being issued from another company other than Fox, don't hold your breath on seeing this on DVD anythime soon.

Nothing to do with it. The most recent example is that Columbia/TriStar enjoyed strong sales of the original Starsky & Hutch series when Warner Bros. released the recenet feature film.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Universal will try their damn best to release The Six Million Dollar Man on DVD when Buena Vista's feature film hits, even if the new one is a comedy send-up.

The key idea here is "awareness".
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#18 of 77 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,380 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted July 13 2004 - 10:42 AM

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knew the status of this show on DVD?

This show was produced by Greenway (I think that's the name), the same as the Batman TV show. It even had the same announcer. However, the show took a more serious tone and was not quite as campy. It also gave the American audience it's first major introduction to Kung Fu, by a very young Bruce Lee. Last but not least, it had one of the coolest openings and theme songs for TV (Flight of the Bumble Bee by Al Hirt). The last I heard Kevin Smith was going to direct the film feature but I've been wanting this series for over two decades.

Does anybody know what's up with this series? Is it tied up in another legal hassle. Or is there a (perceived) notion there there is no market for this?

Thoughts... ideas.. speculation... facts?

#19 of 77 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 13 2004 - 11:57 AM

There are two volumes out from Brentwood. I believe these are spliced together episodes released in theaters.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#20 of 77 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 12:31 PM

Quote:
Does anybody know what's up with this series? Is it tied up in another legal hassle.

I don't think there's a legal problem, because the Starz! Action channel has been showing two episodes a week (Fri. at 1pm with a repeat showing on Sat. morning). Further scheduling information can be found here.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow