What's new

X1 humming or buzz sound (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
i did a quick search for this topic before i posted so i dont think this has been asked before. anyway, i have had my X1 for about a month now with approx 50 hours on it and just recently (last 10 hrs) i have noticed that after i turn it off it has a low buzz, humm noise. this is after i toggle the switch off but it is still plugged in. its not the fan because i have turned it off. the only time it leaves is when i unplug the projector. has anyone else had a similar experience, and how have you resolved it?

thanks

andy

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'll elaborate: I'm not familiar with thie projector, but usually bulbs need cooling after you turn the unit off. I would NOT unplug it, or otherwise disable the power to the unit, or you may well shorten the lifespan of the bulb. It stays VERY hot even after it gets turned off, and if all the fans were to stop then, it would loose all the cooling, and just roast, and actually heat up MORE than it would be if it were on, or had some cooling after you turn the unit off. I am assuming the fans continue for a little while, then turn off.

It's kind of like a car, the fans will keep going after you turn it off. This is normal, and desired. Preventing the fans from going is not a good thing.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Regarding Chris' post... there have been lengthy threads about that exact topic...

Some say that if you just turned it off, and let the bulb cool naturally it will last longer than if you forced it to cool with a fan (ie rapid drop in temperature). Some think what you have said.

Reference: http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/#8.1

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
i know its not the fan running. after you choose to power down the fan runs at high speed for about 1-2 min to cool off the bulb then it slows down to a lower rmp and constantly runs. it states all this in the manual and i have heard it, but what i am talking about is a buzzing or humming sound. it just started doing this in the last 10 hrs or so of bulb life. any ideas of what it could be?

thanks

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Andy,

Is the X1 in a dusty environment? I know computers start to make funny noises just like the one you are describing when they have an abundance of dust on the inside. Perhaps a little dose of canned air could solve the problem (unless doing so would damage the insides of the projector, but I'm not sure of that)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
the room is pretty dust free and i have it ceiling mounted so i dont think that is the problem, but ill try anyway. it cant hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks