Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner to buy MGM rumors: if so, how will this effect DVD releases?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 06:23 AM

There have been rumors on newswires that Warner might merge with MGM, basically taking on their 4,000 title film library. How will this effect MGM's vast production? I hope this does not mean goodbye to the Midnite Movies, World Films, Soul Cinema and other dvd lines that we so treasure.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,531 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 07:24 AM

I look at it this way.....

If Warner was put in control of the MGM library
we would hopefully see the end of "pan and scan"
only releases, TRUE restorations on some of their
most classic releases, and hopefully an interest
in doing justice to It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

I'm not saying that as they stand now MGM is
the worst DVD company out there --- but you must
admit that they have made a lot of unpopular
decisions regarding the release of their library
to DVD.

Warner, on the othe other hand, has done nothing
but put extra effort into most ALL their releases.

A merge would probably be welcomed under the right
circumstances.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted December 23 2003 - 09:41 AM

Ron, I gotta agree there. Warner has been nothing but magnificent with their DVDs, OAR even re-issuing old MAR discs like "Vacation", etc) and those lovely 2 disc sets.

If Warner took over MGM's library, we'd definitely get every movie in OAR.

Now the only downside would be this...would Warner be caught dead releasing "Troll" and "Troll 2"? In other words, MGM has released a LOT of B grade films on DVD that most studios would likely ignore. Warner has been pretty fussy on releasing their own catalog on DVD, adding a few thousand more would create a huge backlog that might take years to get through.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,531 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 09:47 AM

Michael,

All of this is of course speculation based on
a mere rumor.

However, let's entertain it.

I would hope that if MGM merges with
Warner, that the video division would be expanded
to handle the amount of releases from both
studios.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 09:48 AM

I also agree with Ron that the positives of MGM being acquired by Warner far outweigh any potential negatives. For example, Warner hasn't had an issue anamorphically enhancing their 1.66:1 releases -- MGM for some reason refuses to do so. (Note - I'm still hoping against hope that they don't release the upcoming Bergman films as 1.66:1 flat DVDs...)

Plus, Warner hasn't been using recycled LaserDisc transfers in years. MGM has been doing so even recently.

-greg

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 01:21 PM

MGM releases films that are NC-17 or Unrated, like Paul Verhoeven's Spetters and Flesh+Blood.

Warner has a policy of NOT releasing NC-17. There are numerous films that will never see the light of day because of this.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted December 23 2003 - 01:50 PM

If MGM is aquired by Warner, I would think that there would be far fewer releases from MGM's catalogue. But there would be far more DVD's in snappers. I would not want that. I wish they would just eraticate them.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:14 PM

Goodbye DTS and hello annoying snap cases. Bad combination from Warner Bros. Why couldn't the New Line division pick it up instead? Same damn company! LOL Posted Image

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:53 PM

I believe the companies would stay as separately managed entities, ala Rhino and New Line which are also Time-Warner owned but run unto themselves...Hence New Line's openness at using DTS and releasing unrated titles, something Warner will not do...

Same parent company...very different internal policies.

Though Turner's desire to own all MGM stamped titles may cause some shuffling around of titles.

As for Mad World, a reliable source (and it was not Robert Harris) reports that in striking that new 70mm print for the Cinerama dome, MGM essentially ruined the original negative making a restoration now totally impossible.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:59 PM

Quote:
As for Mad World, a reliable source (and it was not Robert Harris) reports that in striking that new 70mm print for the Cinerama dome, MGM essentially ruined the original negative making a restoration now totally impossible

Posted Image
~Brian

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted December 23 2003 - 05:24 PM

Quote:
As for Mad World, a reliable source (and it was not Robert Harris) reports that in striking that new 70mm print for the Cinerama dome, MGM essentially ruined the original negative making a restoration now totally impossible

I hope it's not true... if it is, whoever approved doing that should be hanged.

The negative wasn't even supposed to be in bad condition and could have been used for the restoration (unlike The Alamo...its negative is supposedly useless).

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 05:49 PM

Quote:
For example, Warner hasn't had an issue anamorphically enhancing their 1.66:1 releases -- MGM for some reason refuses to do so.

Actually, that's not right. Both Warner and MGM refuse to do 1.66:1 anamorphic releases. See, for example, Warner's non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer on the 2-disc SE of Giant, as well as the non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers in the Stanley Kubrick collection.

DJ

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 01:12 AM

Well if Warner does come into control of the MGM library, they better not discontinue the Midnite Movie DVD line!

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 03:39 AM

Quote:
MGM releases films that are NC-17 or Unrated, like Paul Verhoeven's Spetters and Flesh+Blood.
Warner has a policy of NOT releasing NC-17. There are numerous films that will never see the light of day because of this.
This concerns me greatly. Also I don't think that rampant mergers are a good thing -- choice is good, and MGM has been doing a lot of good work lately.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 04:56 AM

one other *possible* problem.
sometimes when a parent company puts out big capital to buy an underling, they have to cut budgets to save up some operating cash-which could mean cutting staff and even number of releases, at either WB, MGM, or both.
I am mostly happy with MGM, and they seem to be forging their own identity in the marketplace.....let us hope this will only enhance things for them.

Right now I rate them above Artisan and Columbia....
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 05:31 AM

Warner Home Video used to have distribution rights for MGM Home Video.

In fact many of the original DVDs from MGM Home Video said in the fine print, distributed by Warner Home Video.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Matt_H

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 05:50 AM

this could go either way with warner having negative effects like censoring unrated/nc-17 titles and no DTS. It could be good becuse warner recently is taking pride in doing great eitions of catalog titles(casablanca,robin hood,etc.)

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted December 25 2003 - 02:06 PM

I agree with Harminder and Matt_H with regards to DTS. And I believe that Warner doesn't seem to do the snap cases anymore. The Matrix Revolutions and Terminator 3 prove that to me. And I believe that the contract ran out on the snap cases. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Chuck Halverson

Chuck Halverson

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 26 2003 - 09:57 AM

One good thing, Lets not forget about MGM and Turner having alot of the 30's and 40's Warner Brothers Cartoons. The best ones in my book. I cant wait till they start releasing Bob Clampetts cartoons. He is my favorite Looney Tunes Director.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Aaron_H

Aaron_H

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 27 2003 - 12:51 AM

Quote:
And I believe that Warner doesn't seem to do the snap cases anymore. The Matrix Revolutions and Terminator 3 prove that to me. And I believe that the contract ran out on the snap cases. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would love to say the snappers are gone. But I just saw "Alex & Emma" (released 12/23/03) in the store the other day and it's in a snapper case.

I believe the only reason Terminator 3 and Matrix Reloaded are not in snappers is because they were 2 disc dvd sets.

But I do hope the snappers die really soon...Posted Image

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow