What's new

Any word on future Looney Tunes releases? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I just got a copy of the Golden Collection the other day, and was looking for information on future looney tunes releases. Is there going to be a follow up set next year? I noticed that there were some conspicuous absences from the set, with "What's Opera Doc" (or "Kill the Wabbit") standing out for me. I remember WB saying that plans were all based on the GC's performance-is there any good news for 2004?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The 2nd and 3rd sets are supposedly in the works...

Horton Hatches the Egg will probably be on the 2nd set, too. It's also rumored that the future sets will feature more cartoons and more extras (probably more discs, too) since only the Golden Collection will be continued.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Haven't heard anything, but I can't wait. My sons are getting the Golden Collection for Christmas, so I haven't even got to try it out yet.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
They will continue releasing the cartoons on DVD. The Golden Collection sold very well and the fans love it.

Gord

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Also, it was named #1 DVD of the year by Entertainment Weekly, beating out Two Towers, Indiana Jones, and Alien Quadrilogy.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm so glad that the Golden Collection sold well. It seemed like the big department store chains like Wal-Mart and K-Mart only carried the skimpier 2-disc set. I went to Best Buy to get mine. I'm happy that I waited. The Golden Collection is fantastic! My only gripe is that the toons seem to mostly come from a certain period in WB's output and mostly feature work by Chuck Jones. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that. Jones is my favorite overall WB director, but I would have liked to have had some of the older work as well. Now that I know that the first set sold well, I'm sure I can look forward to some older ones in the next few years. THANK YOU WB!!!

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if you are aware, but this is already out. It is on the disc titled, "The Best of Dr. Seuss," which features "Daisy Head Maisy." Horton is one of two bonus shorts. Looks pretty good, too, and includes the opening and closing Looney Tune titles, but I don't know if it went through the restoration process.

Scott

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not around here. All the department stores - Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target - carried the Golden Collection! And sold it quite well, too!!

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'm thrilled to learn that THE GOLDEN COLLECTION sold so well (it IS a great set). If they based future sets based on the miserable performance of LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION we'd never see another short on DVD again!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think that the great performance of The Golden Collection vs. the lousy performace of "Stranger Than Fiction" and "Reality Check" on DVD and of "Back In Action" at the box office has given Warner a clear and concise message that the public separates "old" and "new" versions of the Looney Tunes characters into different buckets. As buyers, we treat them differently, so the studio should do so as well. Not to put down BIA - I haven't seen it yet, I immensely enjoyed Space Jam and expect BIA to be better by all accounts - and I am giantly looking forward to the DVD release so I can catch it. I regret missing it in theaters; I'd wanted to take my son to see it. Stuff just happened, man. If it was a summer release, then I would have made it. It might not be too late...I'll check the $2 theaters near me and see if it's playing at any of them.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I bought the Golden Collection and was a little bummed that only 1 of the 5 Taz cartoons made it on the set. Glad to hear there are more coming.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It IS the restored version, although, Warner Bros. apparently couldn't find the original opening for it.

It looks like any DVD's with bonus Looney Tunes in restored form are "hints" at what the next set ought to have. (since the two restored cartoons on the Yankee Doodle Dandy DVD came a few weeks before the LT:GC set)

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Remember there are over 1100+ of these shorts in their vaults. As long as we keep buying the sets they should all come out eventually..

2004 Will be another great year for cartoon fans.

Along with more Looney Tunes we are getting The Flintstones and The Jetsons

:emoji_thumbsup:

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

I'll be very happy if Warner releases every last one of the shorts in their library- especially all of the Bob Clampett cartoons.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I just received the "Golden Collection" for Christmas. I've yet to watch it, but now that I have this, I sincerely hope they waste no time bringing us future sets. I grew up watching Looney Tunes and would love to own every last cartoon. I plan on watching the set over the weekend. Can't wait!

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Good news and bad news.

Good news: I received the Golden Collection for Christmas.

Bad news: I can't get disc 1 or 3 to play in my machine. 2 and 4 work just fine and dandy, but the other two register as "incompatible." I just bought this player in October. I haven't had any other problems with any other discs.

Anybody else had problems? Should I return it?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I found an article from Nov. 20 2003 (from Knight-Ridder newspapers) that interviews George Feltenstein and, in the process, mentions two other cartoons to be included in Volume 2: "One Froggy Evening" (I think you know that one) and "I Love to Singa" (probably the most famous of the early "musical" Merrie Melodies, directed by Tex Avery starring "Owl Jolson"). The article also said that the next set is intended to be ready in time for Christmas 2004. (Though I recall Jerry Beck saying that it might come out earlier if the first volume was a big success, so who knows.)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I want more Speedy and Slowpoke! Also Whats Opera Doc?

Im glad that they are working on Vol 2. Bring it on! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks