Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hollywood, will you PLEASE retire the Wilhelm scream!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#1 of 109 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 02:34 PM

I realize that the Wilhelm scream has become a bit of a staple in the movie industry, but it's use, or overuse IMHO, is really starting to grate on my nerves.

I know of at least one instance in "The Two Towers", and I heard it no less than twice in "Return of the King". Then of course we have "Star Wars", "Star Trek: TMP", and no doubt a boatload of others that I have forgotten or just don't know about. It's really starting to stick out like a sore thumb even when its volume is subdued in any scene that it's in.

When songs are overplayed on the radio, those songs often end up getting disliked and therefore stop being played. It's about that time for the damned Wilhelm scream as well!

Posted Image

Just my two cents.

#2 of 109 OFFLINE   Clay-F

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:05 PM

I wish it would be reserved for comedies or something....

Or at least done in such a way that it doesnt jump out at us and make us chuckle when we are not supposed to....

#3 of 109 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:41 PM

I hate this sceam. I didn't know it was called the Wilhelm scream though, I've always called it the "Boba Fett" scream, since it's the noise Fett makes when he's knocked into the sarlacc.

I don't think there are any other soundeffects used in Willow, other than this scream. Posted Image

I remember thinking how great it was during Fellowship and Two Towers that all the sound sounds so great and original, and then there was one guy with the boba fett scream in two towers and I was annoyed. I was again annoyed it was used twice (that I caught) in ROTK.

This doesn't greatly affect my enjoyment or reception of the film. BUT I can't understand why filmmakers seem to always put in that scream. Every. Single. Time.

However I would be interested in the history of the scream, since it is such a recognizable and iconic sound effect (which is unfortunate because it draws attention away from the story to remind you you're watching a movie).

I'm waiting for the inevitable posts of "WHY DON'T YOU WATCH THE MOVIE AND FORGET ABOUT THIS CRAP". hopefully we can instead have an interesting discussion on why this soundeffect is used so often, sound libraries in general, and other repeated sound effects that may not have quite the same recognizeable signature this scream has.

Adam

#4 of 109 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:55 PM

Viva la Wilhelm!

Here's a brief article about the history of the Wilhelm:

http://cgi.theforce....i?storyID=20146

And here's a longer one. Adam, please watch the movie at the end of this second article. It is an absolute classic, and may change your opinion on the beloved Wilhelm.

http://cgi.theforce....gi?storyID=5312

#5 of 109 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 04:09 PM

I'm not tired of it yet. I thought its use in the LOTR movies were a nice homage to Lucas.

#6 of 109 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 04:14 PM

Strangely enough I agree with the original poster's consent. The Wilhelm sorta took me out of Two Towers in the Helm's Deep scene. I think certain filmmakers use it as an homage, as in a large-scale action scene isn't complete without a Wilhelm yell. Peter Jackson probably used it in respect to Star Wars, not sure.

#7 of 109 OFFLINE   Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 04:37 PM

I'm glad others have noticed this scream. I noticed it in ROTK as well.

The foley that REALLY bugs me, however, is the "kids laughing" sound that I first heard in the english dub for Jackie Chan's "Rumble In The Bronx", and has been in over a dozen films since. (The kids around Anakin's pod in "Episode 1" had the same "kids laughing" foley. TWICE.)

Jason
Buy National Treasure on DVD today..."The best movie I saw on Saturday night from 7pm to 9:30. The DTS track is freakin' awesome!" --Multiplex Drone

#8 of 109 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 04:48 PM

Wasn't the Wilhelm also used in Kill Bill during the House of the Blue Leaves?

#9 of 109 OFFLINE   Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 05:03 PM

yes it was. twice! Posted Image

-Dennis
He must have died while carving it!...

#10 of 109 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 05:38 PM

Wilhelm's scream is also heard in Raiders of the Lost Ark, during the truck chase. It seems one of the German soldiers in the back of the truck was named Wilhelm.

Gary: the Wish You Were Here shrink wrap sticker and Star Wars, that's an interesting combination.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#11 of 109 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 06:46 PM

Thanks, Wayne. Posted Image If it makes you think then it works, that's my theory.

#12 of 109 OFFLINE   Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle

Second Unit

• 279 posts
  • LocationMiddle of the Pacific

Posted December 22 2003 - 07:48 PM

Aaarrggghh! I'm not sure which scream you are talking about.

I'm not sure I WANT to know - like edge enhancement, I was in bliss until someone pointed it out (now I can never avoid being annoyed by it).

Okay, so IF my curiosity overwhelms my better senses -- and I decide to ruin my future enjoyment by noticing this scream when re-used -- can you tell me what part of the cited films I could look at to hear the scream?

Thanks (I think).

#13 of 109 OFFLINE   Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 08:06 PM

I notice it everytime it is used, doesn't really bother me. Glad on the confirmation for Kill Bill, I knew I heard it.

Doug, here is a good list of when the 'Wilhelm' can be heard Wilhelm Scream. That site even has Wilhelm Scream T-Shirts. Posted Image I would think any movie fan would recognise the scream.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#14 of 109 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 22 2003 - 08:25 PM

Go to my second link above and download the video. You'll get an instant crash course in the Wilhelm.

#15 of 109 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 11:56 PM

Funny to learn that that familiar old sound effect has a name and a history.

Fascinating stuff, fellas. Thanks!

#16 of 109 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:17 AM

Where was the "Wilhelm" scream in Star Trek: TMP? As much as I've seen that film, I don't recall it there.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#17 of 109 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:51 AM

Quote:
Funny to learn that that familiar old sound effect has a name and a history.

Agreed! I always recognized it, but didn't know the history behind it. Interesting stuff!

Now, I've got to say this though.... why is the use of the Wilhelm in ROTK being thought of as an "homage" to Lucas?

Lucas didn't tape the effect. Goodness knows the list Nick posted shows it has been used in far more than Lucas's films.

Heck, I love the SW films....but I think the re-re-re-use of a single sound effect hardly qualifies as an "homage". (Or am I missing something?)

Just my two cents... Posted Image

#18 of 109 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 04:00 AM

Because the sound effect was resurrected by Burtt for Lucas films initially, and where it gained prominence among our generation. It was noticed by geeks like us who have watched those film countless enough times to hear it in all of them. And, it's no secret that PJ was influenced in his youth by 'Star Wars' like most filmmakers of this generation. I seriously doubt PJ put them there based on some forgotten westerns.

#19 of 109 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
Where was the "Wilhelm" scream in Star Trek: TMP?
I believe that it's on the Director's Edition DVD when the V'Ger surge goes through the anti-matter reactor right after Scotty says "system's overloading, Captain". My nephew pointed that out to me.

Quote:
I'm waiting for the inevitable posts of "WHY DON'T YOU WATCH THE MOVIE AND FORGET ABOUT THIS CRAP".
When it become a diversion, even momentarily, it does impact the enjoyment of that scene briefly. So, if it can have even a small impact, it's worth discussing. Besides, it's not like we're talking about the lack of the blessed, sent-by-God DTS on a DVD. Posted Image

Quote:
Strangely enough I agree with the original poster's consent.
"Strangely enough"?

#20 of 109 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 05:30 AM

It's so overused now. The joke is very stale. It's not a homage, or a dedication, or anything other than crap.
No longer here.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow