What's new

Babylon 5 season 5 announced (1 Viewer)

Jimmy M

Second Unit
From WB themselves: (Street date April 13, 2004)

Babylon 5: The Complete Fifth Season is now available as a fully-loaded 6-disc DVD collector's set.

From the beginning, both were running out of time. The space station that was the last, best hope for peace was sooner or later certain to be eclipsed by new political coalitions and technical advances. And John Sheridan, who guided the massive freeport through its most tumultuous days, knew that his own fate had been inalterably prophesied. Now both storylines converge in a 22-episode final season (with dazzling Exclusive DVD Extras!) whose events also include Sheridan's attempts to wage peace for the Interstellar Alliance, the tragic fate of the telepaths and the ultimate fireball destruction of the outmoded station after it is declared to be a spaceway navigational hazard
. You're cleared for final approach...to Babylon 5.

The set contains all 22 episodes of the fifth and final season—remastered for widescreen picture and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

Introduction to Wheel of Fire (Season 5 of Babylon 5) by series creator, J. Michael Straczynski
Two audio commentaries by J. Michael Straczynski
Movements of Fire and Shadow commentary by cast members Bruce Boxleitner, Peter Jurasik, Patricia Tallman and Tracy Scoggins
Digital Tomorrow—a featurette about making the special effects for the series
Beyond Babylon 5—a featurette focusing on the fans, their reactions to the show and available Babylon 5 merchandise
The Universe of Babylon 5
Personnel Files
Data Files
Gag Reel
Episode previews
Easter Egg — Marcus Cole: Dead or Frozen

Additional and Extended Scenes
New digital widescreen transfer
Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1

(edited because I didn't realize there were massive spoilers included...)
Jimmy!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Yay!! Sooner than I anticipated. The only TV series on DVD I collect (ignoring anime TV).

Jason*C

Grip
I'll probably pick up all 5 box sets on Amazon when this comes out. I absolutely loved this series and they are priced much better than the Star Trek sets.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Kick ass! Finished Season 3 last month and have been dying to finish the series. Chalk it up as another well-advised blind purchase courtesy of HTF! Can't wait to get Season 4 on the 6th.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Wonder why they couldnt get Billy Mummy?

Great news never the less. I am half way through season 4 now (on tape) for the first time and I love this show.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Great news, but did they have to include a major spoiler in the description?

Only 18 months betwee the release of Season 1 and Season 5. Remember when we all thought it would take 2.5 years instead of 1.5?

Looking forward to the Crusade and movie sets too. I'll finally be able to retire my VHS tape of Objects in Motion/Objects at Rest/Sleeping in Light (from the original airings 5 years ago) and the Crusade import VCDs (and no, they aren't bootlegs).

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
After watching the end of S3 on DVD, I couldn't stand to wait any longer, and *ahem* uh, previewed S4 & S5 *ahem* via filesharing. :) Looking forward to watching it on nice high-res DVD instead of grainy little windows with intermittent audio-sync problems.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Some of the actors didn't participate because of scheduling problems when the extras for a given season were being produced, others because they weren't being compensated for doing the extras (an increasingly contentious issue between the studios and actors generally, and likely to be a topic of discussion the next time the SAG contract comes up for renewal.) And some just don't go in for that kind of thing.

Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas both originally declined requests to participate in the extras (Peter because he's semi-retired from acting and lives in northern California far from production facilities.) Peter changed his mind, Andreas didn't. Pity, but that's his choice.

WB wanted Michael O'Hare to participate in the S1 set but wasn't able to pull it off. He returned to the New York stage after leaving B5 at the end of S1, and nobody in Los Angeles, including his agent, had a working phone number for him. At the 11th hour a fan provided a number to JMS, who passed it on to Warner Home Video, but when they left a message on his answering machine he decided he wasn't interested and erased it without even mentioning the call to his wife. There was something of a fan outrcy about Michael being snubbed until his wife Ruth, who runs his web site, told him about it and learned that he had thought it important and had never even called Warner Bros. back. By that time production was finished on the S1 extras, and of course he was no longer that star begining with S2.

I had hoped he might reconsider and do something for Sinclair's farewell in S3, but my suggestions (to both him and WHV) appear to have fallen on deaf ears. Maybe having been turned down (or rather, ignored) once, WHV simply didn't contact O'Hare about S3. Or maybe they did and he said, "No."

I've posted a public message to JMS and e-mailed Ruth O'Hare to urge getting Michael included on next year's re-issue of The Gathering (an interview or commentary track would give him an opporunity to talk about Sinclair's entire journey) but I don't hold out a great deal of hope. Neither of my messages got a reply. :frowning:

Regards,

Joe

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I guess that I will now wait for season 5 to come out and buy all at once

Thanks for sharing the info

:emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The information in the first post came from Warner Bros. It is from the official announcement, which can be down-loaded, along with the cover art, from their industry-and-press-only web site - if you are in the biz or the industry press and therefore have the URL, a login for the site and a password. :)

Regards,

Joe

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the look, Dave!

Its better than their first version, but Scoggins is featured too predominantly!

btw, wasn't there supposed to be some big B5 announcement around the 19th of this month?

Ric

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up. I just finished watching Season 4 last night. I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait too long before seeing the 5th season. The only episode I haven't seen is, I beleive, the second or third to last episode of the series. Can't wait!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

JMS mentioned in September that he was in talks about 2 potential projects the would be set in the B5 universe. In reply to a fan question he said what the projects were not: Neither was a series, neither was a print project. He added that fans who were speculating that it was something in the are of "TV or movies" were closer to the truth. So the smart money is on a TV movie, a mini-series or a feature film. It is, by the way, almost certainly the success of the DVDs that has suddenly spurred new interest in the property.

In November JMS announced that one of the two projects had moved past the talking stage, that money was actually on the table and that he was too busy writing to participate in the moderated B5 newsgroup. He said he would not be able to say anything further until after January 15h (probably the due date for what he was writing), more probably closer to the end of the month.

Presumably he's waiting for Warner Bros. or a TV network/cable channel to decide if the project is going to go on to the next phase, whatever that is. Hollywood protocol says the people paying the bills get to announce new projects, so the writer/producer can't say much until after that happens. There may be a press release or news story before JMS can fill in any details. And if the decision makers take longer to decide than he'd expect, he and we will just have to wait.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks