Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

V Compression Information

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 11:42 AM

Hi well I'm still putting a little away every payday toward a new Hi definition TV hope to get one early next year. Well in the meantime I think I want something for the bedroom so I was thinking about getting a 27-inch with the latest inputs component, Svhs. I heard about V-compression while out to Best Buy and recently saw an add for a Toshiba 27 inch TV in Best Buys flyer. They advertised that V-compression gets rid of the cropping in windscreen movies, so I was wondering if someone could take a moment and explain to me how this works, I've heard some similar hype before about different sceams that supposedly get ride of the cropping bars but basically just make everyone in the movie look like a contortionist with stretched faces and the like, well I know you guys can give me the scope so that’s why I stopped by. Wishing everyone a Marry Xmas and a safe and prosperous New Year!! :b Tom j.
Tom j.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 11:49 AM

I'm not totally sure, but I beleive that's just a vertical raster squish for anamorphic DVDs.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 06:27 AM

So it really doen't get rid of the bars at the top and the bottom of the screen correct?? Thnaks Tom j.
Tom j.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 07:12 AM

No, it does not. It squeezes the scanning-line raster into a 16:9 window in order to display 16:9-encoded (so-called "anamorphic") DVDs at full resolution. Those aren't "cropping bars," but simply dead, unused space on your screen. Nothing is being cropped; in fact, the opposite: You're seeing the entire widescreen image as a result.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 12:02 PM

Thanks that's what I thought. I told the salesman bascially what you said but he insisted that it would somehow get rid of the bars. it's my understnding that you actually get a higher resolution as a result. Happy Holidays!! Tom
Tom j.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 03:36 AM

Most salespeople in big-box chain stores are woefully misinformed and just plain ignorant. A 16:9-encoded DVD does not possess "more" resolution; it displays the same number of lines but in a 16:9 format. If, however, you have a 4:3 display but without the 16:9 compression mode, the player must itself scale the image properly. In doing so, it discards every third line of resolution to produce the letterboxing effect. This is the source of the misguided notion that 16:9-encoded DVDs somehow have more resolution than their 4:3-encoded counterparts. Bottom line: Use the 16:9 mode and make sure your DVD player is adjusted to output a 16:9 image. This will have zero effect on 4:3-encoded/"fullframe" DVDs.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 12:16 PM

Got Ya! Thanks and Happy Holidays!! Posted Image

Tom
Tom j.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users