Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any inexpensive red wine suggestions?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:18 AM

I'm looking for some inexpensive red wine to serve for a New Year's party. Does anyone have any they would really recommend? Somewhere in the $8 to $14 bottle range. Nothing too dry.

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:22 AM

This wine is pretty good. I've been getting it for about $10 a bottle.

http://www.intowine....eaujolais2.html

Paul
If there be one of them who does not follow the way of the Snitzil, let that one go and do not throw bowling balls at them.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 612 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:54 AM

I'd look at Australian wines. You can find several very good reds in your price range from wineries such as Penfolds, Rosemount, and others. I've yet to be disappointed by an Australian red, especially a Shiraz or Shiraz/Cabernet blend. -greg

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   DougRuss

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 06:15 AM

Have to agree on the Australian Wines..
Check out the Black Swan Label .

Black Swan Wines Posted Image
"No matter where you go...there you are."

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try some of the Australian wines. I have had the Yellow Tail Cabernet from Australia and like that.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 07:13 AM

I'll third the Aussie wines. Posted Image

I have yet to meet an Aussie Shiraz I haven't enjoyed. For the more inexpensive varieties, Rosemount is a favorite of mine...Wolf Blass is nice too... I prefer the green label, as opposed to the brown.

For something fun in a (non-Aussie) Shiraz... try Fat Bastard. It's not the most fantastic Shiraz I've had, but it was nice, and the name alone was worth the price. Posted Image

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Jin E

Jin E

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 08:07 AM

Charles Shaw Merlot from Trader Joes. If you can find it that is. It's gotten such a fan base now that it goes out the door as soon as they get it in. Best wine in the world? No. But at $2-3 for a bottle it is worth 4-5 times it's asking price.

At a little over $10 a bottle I really like the Ravenswood Vinter's Blend Zinfandel. Also on my $10 list is the Rosemount Shiraz. At this price point the Aussies make some excellent wines.
-Jin
My Theater

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,281 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 22 2003 - 09:14 AM

Bryan, Where do you live? Wine is not distributed nor priced evenly throughout the US. E.g. around here the Ravenswood Vintner's Blend Zin goes for $5-6 a bottle. Also, what exactly do you mean by "not too dry". Red wine is almost exclusively dry.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 09:39 AM

At the top end ($14), I really like Francis Coppola's Merlot. Plus there is the HT tie-in. You could even screen GF 1 since there is a section of the film that takes place on new year's Posted Image Posted Image

P.S. Happy New Year !

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, I know red wine is generally dry. Some just seems to be moreso than others. But then again, I just may not be correctly describing the wine as I am fairly new to this.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 10:17 AM

Another vote for Ravenswood Vintners Blend. A little bit higher up the price scale, I recently tried a Rodney Strong Chalk Hill Merlot that I really liked. You may be able to find it on sale at the upper end of your range. For a nice chianti, try one from Castello Di Gabbiano, they have a couple in your range.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 12:22 PM

You don't have to spend anywhere close to $10. Grab one of those gallons off the end cap in walmart for $6.50, that's the good stuff. Unfortunately, I met someone once that told me this and was not kidding. It was not surprising to find him puking up macaroni later. Ahhh, nothing better then those college memories, and they say you go to get an education.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 01:03 PM

Chateau Larose Trintaudon is a great burgundy. It's about $15 and even though I like to expirament with different wines, this wine is something I always go back to. This link is to a 1995 vintage from a 2000 review. You won't find 1995 in stores, but the recent vintages are just as good. Put one away for a year or two and it will blow your socks off!

My brother gave me a bottle of this when we sold our family liquor store. I was 22 at the time and was more into Boone's Farm than any other wine. He told me to put it in my sock drawer for a few years. I laughed, but when I drank it on my 25th birthday, I didn't laugh. I'm still buying it and I'll be 35 in February.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Pamela

Pamela

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:03 PM

I like Montes Merlot, a Chilean wine. It's really smooth, and at around $6 a bottle, can't be beat!

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:57 PM

Depending on the year and whether its reserve or no; I find Chateau St Michelle Merlots for 6 (on sale) to 18. I usually pay about 8 to 12 for it. A wonderful inexpensive red.

In general, Very smooth. Velvety fruit ripeness, without the astringent lingering aftertaste which I (NOT a wine person) think you might equate with “too dry”. Interesting complex favors for some years bottling with what I think of as just the (good side) border line of spice or bite, -with supple and lush berry. (supple berry, - whoops my own terminology but that’s semi descriptive Posted Image ) When looking up spelling I noticed it originates Washington State,…shows how much I pay attention to labels as I picked up my first bottle on recommend from a friend and have been buying it since. Columbia Valleys oldest winery with vines planted in the 50’s, I just discovered!

You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 01:34 AM

Try this if you can find it: Langhorne Crossing Cabernet Sauvignon (70%) / Shiraz (30%) Mix 2001 Produced and bottled by Bleasdale Vineyards, AU $8... I didn't expect it to be that good, but it was so well done I went back and bought a case! The trick is the reverse of the usual Shiraz/Cab mix; it's smooth and less peppery. MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 02:35 AM

Perhaps Bryan is thinking of the effect of the tanins when saying "too dry"...

Bryan, I'm talking about that feeling of all the moisture getting sucked out of the inside of your cheeks. Makes you kinda pucker up... ya know? Am I right?

If that's the case, I still stand by my recommendation of the Aussie Shiraz family. Try that Rosemount Estates one everyone is recommending ... I think you'll enjoy.

Posted Image

Sorry. Just turned green for a moment. Maybe it's the season? Posted Image

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:13 AM

Definately give the Aussie wines a try, there are some excellent wines from Down under. I recently came across Wishing Tree Shiraz at only $8.45 a bottle and it was as good as any shiraz I've had at double or triple the price! (you might want to decant this wine an hour or two before drinking however.) Mouton Cadet is a good value Bordeaux in your price range. Also check ou the Masi Valpolicella which is another realy good value wine.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

• 986 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:31 AM

i like the Aussie reds as well. a good inexpensive Merlot is Lindemans.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I picked up a bottle of Black Swan Cabernet and a bottle of Wolf Blass Shiraz. I think I may have to grab a bottle of the Rosemount many of you are recommending too. Posted Image

I'll let you know how I like them.

Can someone briefly explain the general qualities/taste differences between a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Shiraz?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users