What's new

Will Onkyo SR600 drive GR A/V-2s? (1 Viewer)

I've been searching around for DIY bookshelf kits and have ran across the A/V-2s from GR. These seem to be great speakers and I'm considering buying kits for my mains and eventually center channel.

These speakers are rated at ~4 ohm and I will be driving things from my receiver, which is an Onkyo SR600. Will this receiver be OK driving 4 ohm speakers, or should I look for alternative bookshelf speaker plans?

Thanks,

- JamesT

After reading a bit more, 4ohm speakers and the Onkyo 600 seem like a bad idea.

Anything similar in price/performance to the A/V-2 in an 8 ohm configuration?

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running a 500 to 4 ohm speakers. Fine and dandy.

SPEC SHEET RIGHT HERE

The Onkyo can certainly run 4ohms.

It's rated for all channels to go down to 6ohms and then the FRONTS are rated down to 3ohms. 4 should be fine.

Even then my experience with Onkyo's says they can take a beating and you ahve a little give and take with those numbers.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Just make sure that the Onkyo is in a well-ventilated area with nothing on top of it... not in an enclosed cabinet or something.

In my printed manual that came with the unit, it only lists sub-8 ohm power ratings for 2 channel operation. The web site clearly lists all 6 channels. :)

The unit is in its own shelf in my ent center with only about 1 1/2" to the bottom of the next shelf up, so that is cutting it very close.

I also just received an email from the good folks at GR with info on an 8-ohm version of the A/V-2 that they are calling the A/V-3S. :D The box dimensions are very close (if not identical) to the A/V-2 enclosure. I'm still waiting on detailed specs and prices. Hopefully the price/performance is on line with the A/V-2. If so, all my issues (8 ohm, bookshelf, $400 or under) will be met and I'll be building the kits soon.

BrianAe

Second Unit
The Onkyo SR600 runs very cool compared to many other receivers. I have it driving Aperion Audio speakers which are fairly hard to drive as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks