Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will Onkyo SR600 drive GR A/V-2s?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 JamesThompson

JamesThompson

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 01:41 AM

I've been searching around for DIY bookshelf kits and have ran across the A/V-2s from GR. These seem to be great speakers and I'm considering buying kits for my mains and eventually center channel.

These speakers are rated at ~4 ohm and I will be driving things from my receiver, which is an Onkyo SR600. Will this receiver be OK driving 4 ohm speakers, or should I look for alternative bookshelf speaker plans?

Thanks,

- JamesT
- JamesT

#2 of 6 JamesThompson

JamesThompson

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 02:57 AM

After reading a bit more, 4ohm speakers and the Onkyo 600 seem like a bad idea.

Anything similar in price/performance to the A/V-2 in an 8 ohm configuration?
- JamesT

#3 of 6 Brian Tatnall

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 05:23 AM

I'm running a 500 to 4 ohm speakers. Fine and dandy.

SPEC SHEET RIGHT HERE

The Onkyo can certainly run 4ohms.

It's rated for all channels to go down to 6ohms and then the FRONTS are rated down to 3ohms. 4 should be fine.

Even then my experience with Onkyo's says they can take a beating and you ahve a little give and take with those numbers.

#4 of 6 Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 05:38 AM

Just make sure that the Onkyo is in a well-ventilated area with nothing on top of it... not in an enclosed cabinet or something.

#5 of 6 JamesThompson

JamesThompson

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 05:46 AM

In my printed manual that came with the unit, it only lists sub-8 ohm power ratings for 2 channel operation. The web site clearly lists all 6 channels. Posted Image

The unit is in its own shelf in my ent center with only about 1 1/2" to the bottom of the next shelf up, so that is cutting it very close.

I also just received an email from the good folks at GR with info on an 8-ohm version of the A/V-2 that they are calling the A/V-3S. Posted Image The box dimensions are very close (if not identical) to the A/V-2 enclosure. I'm still waiting on detailed specs and prices. Hopefully the price/performance is on line with the A/V-2. If so, all my issues (8 ohm, bookshelf, $400 or under) will be met and I'll be building the kits soon.
- JamesT

#6 of 6 BrianAe

BrianAe

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:17 PM

The Onkyo SR600 runs very cool compared to many other receivers. I have it driving Aperion Audio speakers which are fairly hard to drive as well.