Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer/Crossover/SPL Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 RobSB

RobSB

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 08:04 PM

Hey, I just ordered my first HT system (Fluance SX-HTB, Dayton 10" sub, and H/K AVR-225 receiver) and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I have two questions:

1. The crossover on the 225 is set at 100. I have been reading that it's a little high and 80 is ideal. The 225 was highly recommended by many people! Is this a real problem or nothing to worry about?

2. Is it ok to put my subwoofer near the seating instead of the TV, by the rear left speaker? I guess I could put it up front, but it would be easier in the back.

3. Does anybody in the Los Angeles area have a SPL meter they would be willing to lend to me for a little while? I know calibration is a must, but I can't justify a $50 SPL meter that I'm going to use once or twice. Avia or DVE would also be nice, but I'll probably end up buying Avia.

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 3 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 02:29 AM

1. The crossover on the 225 is set at 100. I have been reading that it's a little high and 80 is ideal. The 225 was highly recommended by many people! Is this a real problem or nothing to worry about?

Not the end of the world-- again the whole issue of 100hz is the IDEAL (some say even lower), but I had my first receiver that would only do fixed crossover at 100, 150 and 200- and the 100 hz setting was more than acceptible. I just found, when I got something with more options, a lower crossover point made a slight improvement.

But certainly not a make/break situation, IMHO.

2. Is it ok to put my subwoofer near the seating instead of the TV, by the rear left speaker? I guess I could put it up front, but it would be easier in the back.

Well, good low bass is not localized- meaning you probably won't notice it in the back of the room versus the front... however- note that bass starts to be directional as you go up in freq, and with your x-over point at 100--- you might find that you are able to tell it is behind you.

3. Does anybody in the Los Angeles area have a SPL meter they would be willing to lend to me for a little while? I know calibration is a must, but I can't justify a $50 SPL meter that I'm going to use once or twice. Avia or DVE would also be nice, but I'll probably end up buying Avia.

I've been on the forum for about 5 years now, and I've heard this exact same thing literally HUNDREDS of times- and nearly every single time the person will later post that it was a great investment, and that they used it far more often than they originally thought.

It is the wisest $50 you can spend on your system, hands down. You will use it a few times per year, and you will have it so when you geta ll your friends, family and guests addicted to this hobby- you can be the hero who comes in and has all these high-tech tools to help them with their setup Posted Image

Trust me, $50 could not be better spent in the realm of HT.
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#3 of 3 Anthony*B

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 05:45 AM

wow Rob, you have a VERY similar setup to what i have now (exact same speakers, different receiver)...i think you will be VERY pleased for the money...
as for calibration, I, like you havent yet plunked down for a SPL meter, but will when financial times get better Posted Image
for now, all I did is sit in my primary listening & let the test pattern in my receiver cycle through & closed my eyes & tried to get each speaker at the same volume (or at the same volume I perceived) - primitive yes, but it's all you/I can do for now I guess...please let us know what you think of the Fluance/Dayton combo...I think it's the best low price (and I mean low as in everything for under 500$ low) combo available...