Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Christmas returns at out of state chain stores

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 07:27 AM

For those who will be travelling out of state, will chain stores like Best Buy and Circuit City allow return for store credit (with gift receipt) if the items were purchased from another fellow store in another state (i.e. a Best Buy in GA allowing returns from a Best Buy purchase in AL)?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 6 Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 10:19 AM

I live in Massachusetts but I'm located less than ten minutes from New Hampshire. I've never had any problems w/either Best Buy or Circuit City when it comes to returning/exchanging gifts that were purchased in one state and returned in another. You may lose out on sales tax (Mass has it, NH doesn't) but my experiences have all been good. One store I'd think twice about is Target. I got a DVD for Christmas a couple years ago that I really had no interest in, so I attempted to exchange it for one I did like. It was not opened but they refused an exchange because it was not defective. I still have it.

#3 of 6 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 11:46 AM

Patrick, I know for a fact that Best Buy and Circuit City allow out-of-state returns/exchanges...as well as some other stores, from personal experience. Pretty much the rule I'd assume is if the stores of a chain are corporately owned, they will allow returns/exchanges with a receipt.
Kyle McKnight

#4 of 6 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,503 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 21 2003 - 03:52 PM

Yep, I've done this at Wal-Mart and Best Buy without problems.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 6 Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 02:42 AM

How can they tell if its from out of state, excusing any information on the receipt. Are the product numbers different?

I picked up a couple of gifts from Best Buy, while traveling for work. I know one of the CD's will have to go back, as the person already has it. I'm not really sure where the receipt is (more like too lazy to look). I was planning on taking it back to best buy. It still has the best buy "price tag" on it. I figured they probably wouldn't give me cash, but would at least offer a gift card.

#6 of 6 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 03:24 AM

My Best Buy gift receipt says it's from the store in my area (Duluth, GA).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012