Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hdtv Sattelite/antenna Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   RichJO

RichJO

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 12:39 AM

I have a hdtv ready television with a Hughes hd receiver and a good OTA antenna. The antenna and the satellite feed to the Hughes. I subscribe to Direct TV with local channels and receive local channels through the antenna. My question is, shouldn't I receive high definition local stations on my tv, both from the antenna and the satellite? Whenever a local broadcast is shown in HD my picture is beautiful but breaks up constantly. Not good when I'm having a Super Bowl party. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Rich

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 03:19 AM

Your DBS provider may offer local channels but not necessarily their high-def counterparts. That's why you need the antenna. And, depending on your location, you may or may not get a good signal. If the OTA signal is weak, or you're in a poor situation vis. line-of-sight, the image will be prone to break up.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 08:02 AM

What antenna are you using??
Amplified indoor work good, outdoor better, outdoor amplified even better. Indoor unamplified, is probably not going to cut it for very many people right now.

What area are you in?
Your particular area can have a lot to do with how many and how well you reciever HDTV OTA.

In Denver, I am pretty lucky, as I get 6 channels, with a powered indoor antenna, stability can vary on different days even though.