What's new

'Roswell' season 1 coming to dvd in Feb. (1 Viewer)

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the new issue of Previews from Diamond Distributors and it has 'Roswell' season 1 listed as shipping in Feb. from Fox Home Entertainment.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Mark, this info is really, really old now. Amazon has had it up for sale for over a month, and the date was known before that.

Gord

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
sorry I haven't been to the forum in a very long time. I just thought some people that might be interested would like to know.

JohnAP

Second Unit
I enjoyed the first season a lot and have been looking forward to this, but I might hold off because of the word that much of the music has been changed due to rights issues. I'll need to see some episodes from this release before I buy.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
As long as the opening titles are intact, I'll get it. The music on this show didn't really grab me and I always thought of it more as "the new sound" the show was being used to push.

It didn't have the same pull as music from Buffy or Felicity and such.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Robert,

I agree 100%.

I wonder what happened to the aspect ratio controversy, though. R2 is apparently getting a widescreen release whereas the US press release states 1.33:1. That might be a mistake though, and definitely not the first AR mistake in a FOX press release (see 24 S2, Angel S2).
Personally, I don't care which aspect ratio the show is in as long as it's the one the producers prefer, and if that is indeed 1.33:1 then so be it. I'd just like to know in advance.

Chris

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's probably 1.33:1, which is most likely OAR.

R2 generally use widescreen masters if they exist...even if it's not correct (Buffy seasons 4-7, Dawson's Creek: best of), at least I think.

I'm pretty sure that whatever comes out is the correct aspect ratio. Considering the creators will have a hand in the releases (commentaries) I'm sure they were questioned about the correct ratio.

JohnAP

Second Unit
I think full frame is the way its meant to be presented. There was never any talk about doing the show widescreen.

Personally, I think the music played a huge part in the mood of the series and I was prompted to buy a few albums after hearing them on the show. They never just used new singles, the music was carefully chosen. I can't think of any other show that played stuff like dramarama or fountains of wayne. Most fans consider the original music to be a big loss. I may still be willing to buy this somewhat blind, but there are a few songs, Sarah McGlaughlin's "Fear," Gomez's "We Haven't Turned Around," and Sheryl Crow's "I Shall Believe," for instance, that are absolutely essential to the moments they're used in. Losing some songs would really damage the scenes they're used in.

I just hope what they don't replace the original music with complete crap. I've heard a lot of complaints that the new music on the Felicity sets is a rather lame replacement. We knew for a while that it would be too expensive to keep the original music because of the ridiculous prices the record companies are asking. It really is a no-win situation and I am happy Fox put the effort into trying to make a nice package.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Stupid me. I just picked this up today not remembering when it was being released. And I overpaid.

$70Cdn when Futureshop has it for $58.00. Damn!

Odd thing though, it has a sticker on the back that reads "Not For Sale or Rental". It was still shrink-wrapped.

About the show, it's presented in widescreen and 5.1 dolby digital.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
How did you pick it up if it's not being released until mid-February?

There is a reference to Gomez, and they actually name "I Shall Believe", so it would be really bad if they had to change those songs. Of course, that's season 2.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
There's a store here in T-dot that seems to get titles really early.

Amazon.ca has the release date for next Tues. and Amazon.com has it for the 17th. I wonder if it will be different issues besides the subtitles in french.

I assuming it's not Cdn. release because there are no french translations on the cover whatsoever.

The video is really clear, but I wonder why they went widescreen, unless the show was shot ws but matted for tv.
The audio is listed as 5.1, but not a lot of action is heard in the surrounds.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Whatever store it was, they shouldn't be selling the DVDs this early, and it concerns me that they sold you a promotional copy of the set.

The street date for Canada is Feb 17th, the same as the US. I don't know why Amazon.ca would list it as 2/03.

Gord

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Amazon.ca has changed the date to Feb 17. If it is a promo copy, would the set I purchased be any different to the actual consumer release?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks