What's new

Return To Return To Oz... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Was the thread title confusing?

;)

Anyways, does anyone have any details on this re-issue? Specs on aspect ratio, supplementals, etc?

I'm dying to know!

The only thing I have to comment on right now is the cover art... :thumbsdown:

That's it.

Someone post on the specs for this re-release!!

Thanks!

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'd guess this is a simple re-issue, possibly with even fewer features. I guess Disney got the rights back from Anchor Bay.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
I dunno, it 'could' be a Special edition. For one, the MSRP is 5.00 higher on the new version that's coming out. So I have high hopes that it's going to have something special about it. It is a fabulous flick, after all. :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the thread title reminds me of something in the simpsons "we now return to the return of the pink panther returns"

CJ

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Eek! That cover is hideous. Didn't Disney learn from their first screw-up marketing this film? The reason it failed in the theaters was because they marketed it as a direct sequel to the MGM film, something which this film is definitely NOT! Oh well. If they give it an anamorphic transfer that's halfway decent I'll be happy.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
One a side note, what the heck kind of quote is that on the cover for that thing??

"Return to Oz picks up right where the original masterpiece The Wizard of Oz ended"
I mean, come on! Maybe that was the best they could dig up?
Hmm, maybe all new sequels will be advertised that way:

"X2: It takes place after X1!!"

The New York Times raves: "The Phantom Menace takes place before the original Star Wars"

Sorry for the aside. That is just one of the lamest cover quotes I have ever seen...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
If Disney is releasing it, I assume it'll at least be Anamorphic Widescreen.

I'll be happy to slip this DVD into my old DVD box.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I think this is the WORST cover I've ever seen! The quote is right up there with "Out pulps Pulp fiction!", and I don't think their could be a worse picture of Dorothy available for htem to use (She looks not jsut frightened, but litterally scared to death, and then stuffed!)

Any extras would be sweet, the VHS had a featurette (and full frame presentation of the film:thumbsdown: )

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I don't know who that is on thr front cover... but that is definitely NOT Dorothy!

I will also be happy to slip this disc into my old case, provided they give us an anamorphic transfer...

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Okay, aside from the lame quote and the clearly-not-Fairuza-Balk Dorothy, the cover isn't THAT horrible. It certainly wouldn't keep me from buying it, assuming we get an anamorphic transfer and maybe a nifty extra or two.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I'm a big Oz nut, but the only way I would buy something with THAT cover is if they gave us mass extras AND anamorphic widescreen.

The funniest thing about that quote at the bottom is the fact that it's from the New York Post.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I never like this movie, but I think it is because I saw it at the wrong time. I saw it when I was a young child, and my entire reference point for the wizard of oz was the MGM movie, which I still love dearly, but now realize is not really very accurate to the book.

I would actually love to see someone remake the wizard of oz and be more faithful to the material. I'd say that i'd like to see somone make the whole series, but that would be pretty much impossible, hehe

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well it looks like it will be widescreen and have the same extras from the Anchor Bay disc. Will it be anamorphic, though? Don't know.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thinking about that cover a bit more - it has been years since I saw it, but I could have sworn there was no yellow brick road - it was all falling apart. And Oz was dark and scary.

That image - a wide, perfect road through lush green fields, and as someone commented, the non-Fairuza Dorothy - is completely wrong.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
this movie never has been treated with much respect. It considered the ugly cousin of The Wizard of Oz, which isn't really fair, since The Wizard of Oz, and wonderful as it is, is far less accurate to Baum's vision than Return to Oz is.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Still no word on anamorphic enhancement, huh? I did notice on the Disney site that they are also encluding the trailers and tv spots which weren't on the AB disc.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I just recieved word that Disney will be follwing Columbia's lead and releasing this in pan and scan only....:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks