-

Photo

Return To Return To Oz...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 03:00 PM

Was the thread title confusing?

Posted Image

Anyways, does anyone have any details on this re-issue? Specs on aspect ratio, supplementals, etc?

I'm dying to know!

The only thing I have to comment on right now is the cover art... Posted Image

That's it.

Someone post on the specs for this re-release!!

Thanks!

#2 of 48 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 03:52 PM

I assume this is the cover art you hate so much.

I agree, it is awful.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#3 of 48 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 04:47 PM

I'd guess this is a simple re-issue, possibly with even fewer features. I guess Disney got the rights back from Anchor Bay.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#4 of 48 OFFLINE   Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 05:39 PM

I dunno, it 'could' be a Special edition. For one, the MSRP is 5.00 higher on the new version that's coming out. So I have high hopes that it's going to have something special about it. It is a fabulous flick, after all. Posted Image
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#5 of 48 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 01:06 AM

the thread title reminds me of something in the simpsons "we now return to the return of the pink panther returns"

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#6 of 48 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 01:22 AM

Eek! That cover is hideous. Didn't Disney learn from their first screw-up marketing this film? The reason it failed in the theaters was because they marketed it as a direct sequel to the MGM film, something which this film is definitely NOT! Oh well. If they give it an anamorphic transfer that's halfway decent I'll be happy.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#7 of 48 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 01:58 AM

One a side note, what the heck kind of quote is that on the cover for that thing??

"Return to Oz picks up right where the original masterpiece The Wizard of Oz ended"
I mean, come on! Maybe that was the best they could dig up?
Hmm, maybe all new sequels will be advertised that way:

"X2: It takes place after X1!!"

The New York Times raves: "The Phantom Menace takes place before the original Star Wars"

Sorry for the aside. That is just one of the lamest cover quotes I have ever seen...
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#8 of 48 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 02:11 AM

If Disney is releasing it, I assume it'll at least be Anamorphic Widescreen.

I'll be happy to slip this DVD into my old DVD box.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#9 of 48 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 19 2003 - 03:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the aside. That is just one of the lamest cover quotes I have ever seen...

I think this is the WORST cover I've ever seen! The quote is right up there with "Out pulps Pulp fiction!", and I don't think their could be a worse picture of Dorothy available for htem to use (She looks not jsut frightened, but litterally scared to death, and then stuffed!)

Any extras would be sweet, the VHS had a featurette (and full frame presentation of the filmPosted Image )

#10 of 48 OFFLINE   Eric Emma

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 10:21 AM

I'm glad I just order the AB version of the film

#11 of 48 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 10:57 AM

Quote:
I don't think their could be a worse picture of Dorothy available for htem to use

I don't know who that is on thr front cover... but that is definitely NOT Dorothy!

I will also be happy to slip this disc into my old case, provided they give us an anamorphic transfer...

#12 of 48 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 01:50 PM

Okay, aside from the lame quote and the clearly-not-Fairuza-Balk Dorothy, the cover isn't THAT horrible. It certainly wouldn't keep me from buying it, assuming we get an anamorphic transfer and maybe a nifty extra or two.

#13 of 48 OFFLINE   Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 03:54 PM

I'm a big Oz nut, but the only way I would buy something with THAT cover is if they gave us mass extras AND anamorphic widescreen.

The funniest thing about that quote at the bottom is the fact that it's from the New York Post.

#14 of 48 OFFLINE   Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 05:41 PM

I never like this movie, but I think it is because I saw it at the wrong time. I saw it when I was a young child, and my entire reference point for the wizard of oz was the MGM movie, which I still love dearly, but now realize is not really very accurate to the book.

I would actually love to see someone remake the wizard of oz and be more faithful to the material. I'd say that i'd like to see somone make the whole series, but that would be pretty much impossible, hehe

#15 of 48 OFFLINE   LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted December 20 2003 - 04:14 AM

Well it looks like it will be widescreen and have the same extras from the Anchor Bay disc. Will it be anamorphic, though? Don't know.

#16 of 48 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 09:03 AM

Thinking about that cover a bit more - it has been years since I saw it, but I could have sworn there was no yellow brick road - it was all falling apart. And Oz was dark and scary.

That image - a wide, perfect road through lush green fields, and as someone commented, the non-Fairuza Dorothy - is completely wrong.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#17 of 48 OFFLINE   Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 06:57 AM

this movie never has been treated with much respect. It considered the ugly cousin of The Wizard of Oz, which isn't really fair, since The Wizard of Oz, and wonderful as it is, is far less accurate to Baum's vision than Return to Oz is.

#18 of 48 OFFLINE   Eric Emma

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 08:25 AM

http://ultimatedisney.com

Quote:
December 20, 2003 - We're finally starting to hear details on February's catalogue slate. The good news is that Return to Oz (pre-order) will be widescreen and apparently will include everything that the now out-of-print Anchor Bay DVD, except for the Fullscreen transfer. Those Calloways (pre-order) will be presented in its original 1.66:1 widescreen ratio. Follow Me, Boys! will contain a featurette "Looking Back with Lem's Boys" and a gallery, but will be presented in Fullscreen only, seemingly not its original ratio. The three made-for-television movies that make their DVD debut will all be properly presented in 1.33:1 original fullscreen ratios and Dolby Surround tracks, and Selma, Lord, Selma is accompanied by featurette called "A Bridge to Freedom." No word yet on specifications for Misadventures of Merlin Jones, Bon Voyage! or Midnight Madness, yet. Check out the full upcoming Disney release schedule or a closer look at February's catalogue release slate.

I hope this helps Posted Image

#19 of 48 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 03:56 AM

Still no word on anamorphic enhancement, huh? I did notice on the Disney site that they are also encluding the trailers and tv spots which weren't on the AB disc.
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#20 of 48 OFFLINE   Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 08:36 AM

I just recieved word that Disney will be follwing Columbia's lead and releasing this in pan and scan only....:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Forum Nav Content I Follow