What's new

My old fisher DVD player (1 Viewer)

EricTut

Grip
Hi all-

Okay, so I got an old (1999) Fisher brand DVD player. Yeah, its cheap. I got it from a friend for free, so its been acceptable until recently.

One time a while back, I think it was some Adam Sandler film, and the DVD wouldnt play. Complained about me trying to play a region 1 disc in a non region 1 player. So, I got fed up, ditched it for a VHS tape of the same movie.

Last night, rented bad boys 2. Same thing! So I looked at the back of my player, has the little region icon with a 1 in the middle. Region 1- america. Where I is. Makes sense. Disc says- region 1. What the heck?

I played lost of other DVDs on this thing, so I looked at the cover jackets in the rental store, all non region sensitive discs.

So 2 questions- Anyone know if I can correct this issue on my player? And, what should I look for to avoid this in the future?

Its the most ridiculous anti piracy scheme ever concocted, honestly.

Thanks in advance guys.

EricT

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
not sure what you mean there. if you live in america, and are renting dvd's, then they're all region 1.

EricTut

Grip
Hey Ted-

yeah, most DVDs work fine. I have had scratched DVDs not play before, but they act differently than this. The bad boys 2 dvd was very very new.

Some DVDs have the region encoding on em, some dont. Star Wars Episode 2- doesnt have it. Plays fine.

I am not in a great financial sitch right now, but the weak link in my system is definately the DVD player. It needs to happen, I just wish it were on my terms instead of my cranky Fisher DVD players terms.

I doubted I could do anything about it, but thought I would ask anyways, see if anyone ever heard of this issue.

Thanks though,

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks