What's new

No more Space G host Season Sets? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Say it ain't so warner! I've been rediscovering this s how on DVD, and I was really waiting for the next season set to be released..

But according to Toonzone, they are going to be releasing future episodes on Best of Sets. Support the Space Ghost DVD and go out and buy it!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Technically, this was also a best of release, because they didn't have all of the season 1 or 2 episodes on this DVD. I really don't mind in this case, apparently they couldn't negotiated a fee for some of the guests so they just left those episodes off the DVD release, but if that is the case I don't blame Warner I blame the celebs that want too much money.

So, just enjoy the ride, and know that what you have now is a best of release so you'll get more of the same...

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Aforementioned article is here: [url=http://adultswim.toonzone.net/]http://adultswim.toonzone.net/[/url]

Buying "Space Ghost" DVD sets won't change this a bit... this is one of those rights quagmires that so often kill home video releases. This one's particularily nasty, too -- with egos of celebrities apparently getting in the way. It's too bad, but I don't see it ever getting worked out.

[waits for official Sealab DVDs]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I will buy every single Space Ghost release regardless of format or sequence. I'll record missing episodes off the broadcasts.

It's not the fault of the producers.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The only episodes I really truly want are the ones with Randy Savage as Lenard Ghostal, The one with Bjork, the one titled Snatch and anything else will be gravy.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Space Ghost is something that doesn't need to be released in season sets. I don't care what format they come in as long as they continue to deliver at least 10 episodes per release and that, collectively, the releases afford us the opportunity to own the entire collection when all is said and done.

Personally, I look FORWARD to volume 2 grabbing episodes from everywhere in the series run. I didn't want to have to wait a long time to get the legendary Mark Hammil/Bill Mumy episode!

This show is great.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Actually it was a season one and two set. Well, technically Season 1 and half of 2. The reason there are missing episodes, is because Warner and Cartoon Network were "unable to clear 'talent' for 'off-channel' use without paying a lot of extra cash. Hence, the missing episodes.

However, Cartoon Network will be running a marathon of these missing episodes in January.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Still, the collection was labeled as "Volume 1", which seems to make no guarantees as to what was included in it and what might be included in future volumes. Also, if I remember right, at least one of the missing episodes came from the first season.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
As I explained above. Its called 'Volume One' because it includes season 1 and half of 2. However, the reason these seasons are incomplete is because of conflicts with guest stars from those episodes.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
According to: http://www.epguides.com/SpaceGhostCoasttoCoast/ Dane is correct.

The following season 1 episodes do not appear on this DVD set...
9. Self Help
10. The Mask
11. Gum, Disease

Missing Season 2 episodes are:
13. President's Day Nightmare
18. Le Livre D'Histoire

Also note, that "Explode" which appears on this set is listed as the first episode of season 3.

There is also a Space Ghost Christmas special that aired between seasons 1 and 2 that isn't included, so you can't say that this is all of season 1.

My main point is that with certain TV shows, most in fact season sets are the way to go, but with Space Ghost since there are no story arches that continue through each season then it doesn't matter what they do, I mean its not like they have a season 1 storyline that goes across all episodes and then a season 2 storyline that does the same...so a best of is ok in this instance.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Do you people not understand that it's not a 'best of'! Honestly, all the episodes follow their broadcast order, except the missing ones which can't exisit on DVD. Thus its Volume 1. Not a best of, because if it was a best of the episode selection would be much more random, and probably not include any of these episodes, as everyone who works on SG admits they weren't very good. (Tho Batmantis might have made it)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Paul, you are looking at the term "Best of" in its denotative or literal form.
Here is why you can't do that with DVD.
1. If you used the term best of literally, you could only ever get 1 volume of a best of release. Why? Because Best of Friends Volume 2 would be in correct. I mean if these episodes were really the Best of Friends, shouldn't they have been on Volume 1?
2. The literal definition is actually vary vague?
How many episodes could be considered the best of a series?
Best of according to whom?
That second one itself is problematic, because if you just limited it to the shows writing staff producers, directors and actors, you still wouldn't get a consensus. For instance what would you do with an episode of South Park that Matt Stone considers the best of the series, but what if Tray Parker hates that same episode with the passion of a thousand white hot suns?

We're using the conotative or generic definition of the term best of.
This means that we don't litterally expect these to be the best of the series, but we use the term because the term complete season is not accurate, episodes are missing. It doesn't matter with the generic or conotative definition if the episodes are mostly in chronological order or not, or even if some of the episodes are not 1's we particularly care for, it is still a best of release. Interestingly though, TVShowsOnDVD.com classifies the Space Ghost release as individual episodes, which is most accurate, although I could can, and would still argue that the term best of is not incorrect.

Plus Paul, we are talking not necessarily about this release by itself, but future volumes. What if volume 2 doesn't come in the same format as volume 1 in the sense that the episodes are not in order? For you to tell us that we're mislabeling a product that has yet to be produced or not is a bit presumptive don't you think? The only thing we know for sure is that any future release would likely not be a complete season, in fact you couldn't have a complete season until season 4 unless you wanted to put "Explode" on a season 3 release even though it is already on Volume 1.

Literally, its not a best of, figuratively speaking absolutely, and the marketing departments at any studeo would probably admit that they use Best of in a generic not literal form.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

They should feel honored by being part of this show;)

I'm in the same boat in that I don't care if they are in season sets, best of sets, Volume 1 or whatever. Just more.

Bruce

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have some good news.

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=62126

On February 15th, Adult Swim will air four of the episodes that are missing from the chronology of the first set.

11:30/2:30 - SGC2C - #9501: President's Day Nightmare
12:00/3:00 - SGC2C - #9506: Le Livre D' Histoire
12:20/3:20 - SGC2C - #9409: Self Help
12:40/3:40 - SGC2C - #9410: Gum, Disease

It also appears that eps are given their full running time for this marathon (longer-than-11-minute eps are usually aired cut these days).

I suspect we'll get the rest eventually, as well as any other eps that miss the sets due to uncooperative performers.

So, get those DVD recorders ready!

I'm also posting this in the TV area.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ahh captured to huffyuv, all 37 gigs worth. Now the big question.. convert to Xvid or mpeg-2???

oh and the Xmas episode(s) was included.. funny stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks