Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

R2 Uk - Best Of 2003

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 17 2003 - 12:58 AM

Despite the usual gripes about R1 favouritism, this hasn't been a bad year for R2 UK, and we've seen several excellent editions (so far) exclusive to us. In no particular order, I think the best of these have been - THE SWEENEY SEASON ONE - another excellent job by Network video, one of the best series box sets ever. THE DEER HUNTER S.E HENRY - PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER S.E ROMAN POLANSKI COLLECTION - Anchor Bay gave us a better package than we could ever have hoped for THE HITCHER S.E CITIZEN KANE - a version that complements the R1, with a truer print by all accounts MISERY S.E M Special Edition - with this and the upcoming Sunrise, Eureka have really got their act together PSYCHO COLLECTION - a botched job but at least we've got them A FISH CALLED WANDA S.E - the film hasn't worn well, imo, but there's no denying it's a good edition JAM - nicely designed set for the surreal comedy series THE PINK PANTHER COLLECTION - coming to R1, but we got it first ! Also, on R2 France - FLASH GORDON SE - commentary by Hodges ! Great design. CD by Queen. THE SHELTERING SKY S.E - comm by Bertolucci, excellent doc. Any more to add ?
I've been going to bed early . . .

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Christopher D

Christopher D

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 11:39 AM

Trainspotting SE and Spooks, although Spooks is coming to R1 soon.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 07:08 PM

League of Gentlemen Series 3 - absolutely stunning 2 disc set crammed full of relevent and interesting supplements (and the programmes aren't bad at all either)

Dr Who - The Three Doctors - again a wonderful disc from the BBC's Dr Who range. Excellent restoration that puts some movies to shame along with wonderful archive supplements - just right for the show's 40th Anniversary (plus I got a free Bessie)

Brady Bunch in the Whitehouse (R4)- I've extended this list in include other non-R1 discs, simply because BBitW came out on R4 earlier this year. Forget about Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings. I now own my ultimate trilogy!

24 Hour Party People - Wonderful film, excellent package. The commentary tracks (including the visual commentary on the second disc) are all interesting and funny.

Bo' Selecta Series 2 - never liked this on the telly much, but was given the series 1 and 2 boxset. The series 2 DVD give the option of watching without the laugh track and the comedy is much improved - it made me re-evaluate my opinion on the show. Lots of supplements and excellent menus too.

The Amicus Collection - I could have done without "And Now The Screaming Starts"... I think I would even have preferred "The Killer Bees". But an excellent package from Anchor Bay UK, and Asylum alone is worth the money.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 18 2003 - 09:13 PM

Yes, the DR WHO discs have been excellent. I'd add THE TALONS OF WENG CHIANG and THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH to that list. Also THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE S.E - beautiful packaging and THE SHOCKING TRUTH documentary to boot.
I've been going to bed early . . .

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 06:40 AM

Misery SE is great...but available in other regions. No exclusive here. I own the Brazilian NTSC version. But you guys still have the first 4 (almost) seasons of Will and Grace where we JUST got the first.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Matthew_Brown

Matthew_Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 11:49 PM

Heh. Surely that's some sort of sadism though? Posted Image

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,725 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 07:00 PM

That's interesting. I saw a few episodes and didn't think much of it either. Never realized it could be presented without the laugh track. Cees

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 04:07 AM

Only series two has a no laugh track option. Series 1 comes only with the laughter. It really is much better with no laugh track.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,725 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 10:27 PM

The reverse happened to the MASH series. Most Europeans, I suppose, didn't even know it had a laugh track. When I got the DVD of the first season, I listened to it with the laugh track on - for a short while. Couldn't believe they aired it anywhere like that. Cees

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Nicodemus

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 10:43 PM

I believe the best examples of the very good R2 editions are the Star Trek boxsets (better packaging than R1) and The Shield Season 1 (widescreen instead of region 1's full frame).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users