-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Monty Python's The Meaning of Life SE + TRANSFER PROBLEM FEEDBACK

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
148 replies to this topic

#141 of 149 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 07 2003 - 06:19 AM

I've just gotten this disc, and it is indeed HORRENDOUS. Unwatchable. I'd like to point out something else about this release that, unbelievably, nobody else has: the narration that was originally over the two intertitle cards, "Our Short Feature Presentation" and "Our Feature Presentation", is MISSING. Over the first intertitle it's supposed to say: "There will be a short film of approximately ten minutes before our Feature Presentation."

Over the second intertitle it's supposed to say: "And now, our Feature Presentation."

Anyone else noticed this glaring blunder? Thanks much, Universal. Posted Image

#142 of 149 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 07 2003 - 11:10 AM

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this was done for the the North American release. I remember originally seeing this theatrically, and hearing the audience groan at the introduction to what would be TG's hilarious short film."

Hmmm...interesting. I didn't know that. I always thought the vocal announcements worked well. I guess the new DVD reflects the original British theatrical release then. I'm just used to the announcements, but if Universal fixes the transfer, I can more than live without them. :-)

#143 of 149 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 09 2003 - 03:14 AM

Now waitaminnit...I was under the impression that the Image edition DID have the announcements/organ music over the intertitle cards. You mean it actually doesn't? :-( I was going to try and find it, but if it doesn't have it, I'll just wait for a recall (which had BETTER happen, dammit Universal), and hunt down an old VHS tape for the version with the announcements. Hmmm...I wonder if all the VHS versions have the announcements, or only the old '80s release, with the cover where the Pythons are getting screwed into the ground by God (hmmm...that sounds a bit obscene, doesn't it?)???

#144 of 149 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 09 2003 - 04:36 PM

Hmmm...in light of Christian's evidence, perhaps Keith was wrong about the narration/music being added for the American release only. Well then, Universal also needs to restore the missing organ music/narration over the intertitle cards!!! Why is it missing from this release? And, I repeat, is it intact on the old Image DVD???

#145 of 149 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 14 2003 - 04:16 PM

I have a Sampo 612 DVD player, which is NOT progressive scan, and of course, as I've stated, the DVD looks absolutely horrible. This is not a progressive-player-only problem.

#146 of 149 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 15 2003 - 07:36 PM

"Thank you for contacting Universal Studios. With the advent of cutting-edge
technology in the DVD format, a small number of DVD players do not have the
technical capability to take full advantage of the "Monty Python's The
Meaning of Life" disc format."

Now, that's a hilariously transparent load of bull. Nice dodge, Universal. As if the DVD players are to blame. As if "taking full advantage of the Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life disc format" means to, gasp, actually be able to SHOW THE FILM WITH A CLEAR PICTURE.

Oh well. At least they're fixing ONE of the problems with this disc. I guess they either don't know or don't care about the other problem, the problem of Missing Vocal Announcements from the Short Feature Presentation and Feature Presentation intertitle cards...

I'm off to hunt down an old VHS copy, methinks...

#147 of 149 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:23 PM

"I will be happy with a re-encode, as I found the transfer acceptable (when I could get my DVD player to see it), and I consider the missing "There Will Be a Short Film..." thing over the opening card to be a non-issue."

Um, if it was originally supposed to be part of the film, how can it be a non-issue? There is still no confirmation one way or the other as to whether this audio was originally part of the film, and until it's settled, I would think it's definitely an issue. Except for the old DVD, ALL previous video versions on VHS and laserdisc, including the British video versions, have had this audio. I would think this means that there's at least an excellent chance that it's supposed to be part of the film. Why fans in general aren't seeming to care about this I just don't understand.

#148 of 149 Mathieu Lalonde

Mathieu Lalonde

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 04:12 PM

(p.s. i already posted this in the other MOL problem thead that has been abandoned so forgive the re-post but...)

I've got some really bad problems playing MOL on my setup...

On my (one-month-old) Denon DVD-2900, playing the film with the DTS track selected, the film actually FREEZES PERMANENTLY wherever a branching point to the deleted scenes occurs (even when watching the plain theatrical version!!!)

Whenever this happens, Play and Pause do absolutely nothing and using Fast-Forward is the only way to jump out of the problem... Posted Image

The Dolby Digital track plays fine.

Now that is one badly authored dvd !!!! Universal is really starting to tick me off! Posted Image

mjl

#149 of 149 Mathieu Lalonde

Mathieu Lalonde

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 01:25 AM

Has anyone else with a DVD-2900 tried playing the whole movie through with the dts track selected... i'd just like to know if i'm the only one for whom it freezes up at the branched sceenes...

mjl

Posted Image