What's new

System on a budget (1 Viewer)

Tyler M.

Agent
I have about a $1000 budget for an entire setup, including reciever and player. Although I might be able to raise the budget to $1200. So, I have about $800 max for a 5.1 setup. I prefer towers, and I was thinking using a Tempest for the sub. The room is about 18 X 22, so not a small room. Any recommendations would be helpful, along with links if at all possible. Thanks in advance.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
There's the onkyo tx-501 for $300 at JandR.com
The Fluance sx-htb set for $260 and the Hsu stf-2 sub for $400. People seem to pay omage to that sub.
http://www.hsustore.com/stf2.html
DVD players seem to drop in price every month. Progressive scan players can be picked up for $100.

ToddTho

Auditioning
Heres my advice.If you are not in a rush, by stuff used and you can get a good system for your money.I decided on definitive tech. for speakers.I found some rears at a used stereo shop for $70.00 ,the bp2x's.Then I was in tweeter and got a demo Denon 3802 receiver for $550 with warranty.I found a used 2002 def tech center channel in the classifieds for $200.Finally last week I found some def tech bp-20's for $400 with some nice bi-wirable speaker wire.These speakers rock,they have incredible bass.I don't have a sub yet but will get one eventually.Before I bought the towers my brother let me borrow some cheapy speakers to hold me over.
It took a year to finally get my system but it was worth it.

Tyler M.

Agent
I plan to purchase everything when we move into the new house, around mid May, so I'm using this time to scout stuff out. So buying used I don't think will work out very well. But thanks :)

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I was in the same boat as you budget wise about a month ago. I went with buying everything piecemeal via Ebay so all my gear is used (Paradigm stuff). But if I were to do it again, I'd give a long hard look at the Onix ELT HT system. Its at av123.com and click on "Extremely Lucious Theater". Sorry, the forum won't let me actually post URLs.

With the receiver they throw in, the total comes to $1250.00 without a dvd player. This system gets nothing but rave reviews everywhere.

Tyler M.

Agent
They look very promising, but would they have enough sound to fill up the room? Also, I would have to get stands for the front, which would add to the cost.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
From what I've read about these, they should be OK though not as enveloping as a larger tower setup. But refer to the guys on the forums at av123.com for more advice since I don't have any experience with these.

Another configuration I was playing with was with Fluance like the guys above said. Their SX-HTB package is $300 total shipped. Add that to a $300-400 receiver and your set with some nice change.

Another possibility is at Onecall.com and their deal packages. They have 1 or 2 packages that would fall under your price range. One has a set of Wharfdale towers in front and an Onkyo 500 receiver all for about $700 or so shipped.

If you want a good deal on just a receiver at least, the Onkyo 601 refurbed is available for $350 shipped from Ecost. This is a really sweet price for it. Review of the 601 can be found at audioholics.com under "Staff Hardware Reviews" The guy there drove some fairly demanding 6 and 4 ohm Axiom speakers with this receiver.

Hope all this helps :)

Tyler M.

Agent
Anyone else have any thoughts? I do like the tweeters a bit bright, I forgot to mention that. I have auditioned Infinity Alpha's, and liked the sound, but not the price.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
You mentioned needing a player and I'll repeat a recommendation I've been making lately:

JVC XV-F80. It's available at Costco online for $99. It sold for over $300 when it first came out (about 2 1/2 years ago). It's progressive scan and a 7 (yes, seven) disc changer. It isn't rated for DVD recordables in any format (but I've heard most DVD players will play DVD-r).

Anyway, thought I'd mention it since your budget is $1000-1200 and there's been nothing said about DVD players. This one would be hard to beat.

As far as speakers go, onecall had superzero's on sale for $108, but they have gone up to $137.50 this week. Watch for them to drop. They also had superone's for $75 a while back (and these would make a nice surround). That would be 3 superones (frontside) and 4 superzeros ($624). Throw in a player ($100 = $724) and a receiver (onkyo tx-501 for $300 at JandR.com = $1024). That doesn't leave much money for a sub and it doesn't include shipping. The superone's will not fill in the sub bass, but you could go get a 12" KLH at Costco (stores only) for $99. If ain't pretty, but will hold you for a couple years and then you could upgrade. The other speakers could stay....

Of course, that would all depend on onecall reducing their price again. They have a habbit of doing this.

Tyler M.

Agent
Alright, how about this:
Infinity Entra Three floorstanders, $320 a pair
Infinity Entra Two Center $148
Wharfdale dipole surrounds $ 100 a pair
Maybe an Infinity PS-12, still undecided
I'm still working out the player and reciever, but is this a decent setup?

Tyler M.

Agent
Or should I go with the Primus 360's? They're only $20 more, and they have a 4" midrange, which the Entra does not. Then the Primus center, and I was thinking of an Onkyo 5 disc player, which is $109 at one call, and maybe an Onkyo TXSR501 for the reciever. Any thoughts? I didn't like the Primus tweeter, a little too dull, but for a budget I'm going to have to make compromises.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
For $1000 I would go for,

Speakers
JBL NSP1 5-piece Home-Cinema Package $250 Can be found for $200 in othe places.
Sony SA-WX700 250 Watt Active Subwoofer $210

Reciever
Pioneer VSX-D912K A/V Receiver $300
or Pioneer VSX-D812K A/V Receiver $230

DVD PLAYER
Pioneer DV-563A DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio Player $155
Or Sony DVP-NC685V 5-Disc DVD/CD/SACD Changer $200

+ Shipping $60 = $1010

But I doubt you will be able to get the speakers in May due that they are in clearence right now, and the new Northbrige E series will replace them.

Good luck with your choice,
Pablo

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Dude, pawnshops are AWESOME for hunting down gear. Thats where I got my JBL HT4V's for $300/pr. - they are like new (I would give them a 9.5/10) and new, they would cost $1,200.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I have the Wharfedale bipoles mentioned earlier in this thread and think they are excellent, esp. for the price.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I have the Wharfedale bipoles mentioned earlier in this thread and think they are excellent, esp. for the price.

Patrick++

Auditioning
pablo, that's an incredible deal on the pioneer receivers! they got great reviews at cnet. I just ordered the 812k (cheapest I'd seen it before was over $350!)

bloody!! >:E not allowed to post url's yet! grrr...
att.com.com/Home_audio/4521-6531_7-5021436-1.html?tag=more

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

Glad I could help, you wont be dispointed, I have the VSX-D912K, and for me it does everything that I need and more, its a excelent reciever for the money. And the 812K isnt that different, only the autocalibration and an extra 10w per channel, feture wise I think they are twins.

Take care,
Pablo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks