What's new

HBO's "Angels In America:" When will the DVD(s) be released? (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just finished watching this Mike Nichol's directed program, and I want the DVD yesturday.

("Powerful" doesn't even begin to explain how much
I love this 6.25 hour program.)

Any news or details of the DVD release?

Mark

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I seem to remember a pretty quick turnaround (under 6 months) for films like Live From Baghdad and The Gathering Storm. Maybe sometime in May?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mark, would you believe I haven't even watched this yet? I did go see the 2 part play a few years ago and liked it though. Maybe HBO will have a marathon showing the entire thing soon?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
When I watched this on HBOHD the this Sunday and last, I could only wonder why they didn't bother with a theatrical run. Sure, the prestige is great for HBO, but the exposure and the cash flow could only have been better theatrically.

I've heard a number of critics are putting this one on their 2003 top 10 lists, even though there is no theatrical run.

This is the one film I've seen so far that would have given RotK a run for it's money. I can't wait for the DVD, and the future HD-DVD.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
This won't be leaving my TiVo anytime soon...at least, not until the DVD is released.

Not allowing a theatrical release is a way for HBO to sell subscriptions... although I agree that a limited theatrical run would have made the Oscar race very interesting. HBO prides itself in exclusive programming. I'll bet they could fill movie theaters every Sunday night with the last season of THE SOPRANOS, but they won't do it as long as they can sell their service.

A marathon ANGELS screening is on HBO Signature on 1/3. It looks like HBO and HBO-HD will also start rebroadcasting starting with part 1 on 12/22 (the complete schedule is at HBO.com).

- Steve

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I suspect Steve is right regarding HBO's thinking.

I only subscribed to HBO this month
(and just the evening before the first installment aired), because I knew if I wanted to see it,
I would need to subscribe to HBO.

So, I paid $12.99 basically to see it.
(Not that I didn't mind the bonus of seeing a few episodes of OZ yet to arrive on DVD, and I also watched the film Paragraph 175 which is quite good, but really, it would be hard for it not to be.

Also caught the HBO special, "Playing the Field: Sex and Sports" this afternoon, and they spent quite a bit of time with Dave Kopay (that sexy gay retired pro foot ball player), Billy Bean (the retired pro baseball player), and many of the famous lesbians in sports.

So, HBO has been a good choice for the month,
but I want them to know they got me because of "Angels in America."

Back to "Angels in America," having seen it on stage (with the national touring company),
I have to say it is interesting to see how
the power of skillful editing and close ups have impacted the material:
I felt less pity for Roy Cohn than I did in the
live version, but I care much much more about
the fate of Patrick Wilson's character, in part,
I am sure, because Patrick did such a superior
job of making his character's contractions
read on his face: he is both an innocent
and a very guilty person; both horrible
and totally sweet.
On stage, I merely thought,
"Hmmm, he's cute but what a total f-up."
Wilson made all of that read on his face,
all through his eyes, and it was truly the
foremost Oscar-worthy performace of the piece. Without close ups, I never would've felt that.

That boy is gonna be a star.

Note: I would spoilerize that, but I am not giving
away any plot points, nor do I think anyone will
know who Patrick Wilson is before seeing
"Angels in America" unless you pay attention to
the rising stars on Broadway (where he has been
in A-List productions for several years).

Also, the editing, particularly when
Prior is having his fight with his partner
and Joe is having his with his,
the intermixing was brilliant.
Nothing even remotely that "blended" worked
as well on stage.

However, I laughed a lot more during
the stage play, and Cohn came off as evil,
but also funny. In the film Pacino was brilliant,
but I don't think I've ever felt so repulsed
by a character ever. (Kudos to Pacino.)

Well, my last thoughts on this...it has
re-aired mulitple times already,
and I have had it on while preparing
the house for holiday visitors,
and it feels more powerful with repeated viewings, not less.

Tony Kushner really has written a piece that deserves every award it has won.

Mark

RafaelB

Second Unit
Oh Mark,

You are so right about Patrick Wilson. When he 'hit it big' in the original Broadway cast of "The Full Monty", it felt like such a revelation. That man can sing *and* act (and ain't so bad on the eyes either). :D

I expect him to get to Hugh Jackman heights someday.

But, to get to AiA, I still have not had the chance to watch the whole thing, but I really enjoyed the subtlety that the film version provided with some of the characters (Roy Cohn had never been so quiet onstage- he was always loud and chewing the scenery, which is not bad, just different). I can't wait to have the time this weekend and take it all in.

Rafael

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
On Patrick Wilson...we'll be seeing his Raoul when the musical version of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA opens theatrically next Christmas. (Woo hoo!) I thought his performance in ANGELS was outstanding. The scene where he calls Mom from the phone booth was incredible.

Pacino as Cohn was an interesting interpretation--a little different than Ron Liebman (Broadway's first Cohn), but excellent all the same.

Jeffrey Wright (sole B'way cast member) was also excellent...heck, everyone was at the top of their form.

Hmmm, I think I need to watch this again...

_ Steve

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey Wright was phenomenal. He deliverred some of the best lines in the show. I cannot think of a single performance that I wouldn't gush about.

Patrick Wilson is excellent. He's also very attractive. This helped me be more sympathetic to his character.

Mary Louise Parker deserves an Oscar. I met her after her penultimate performance of Proof, and she's just as nice as she is brilliant.

I do understand why HBO chose to keep the film on the network. It made great sense from a network standpoint. However, if I were in charge at HBO, I would have felt there could be MORE benefit from running it theatrically first. That's perhaps why I'm not in charge at HBO.

They should have run it for a week in LA though for the OSCARS. If they did that, the Academy might have rejected it for being a cable movie masquerading as a theatrical feature. Of course in doing so, they'd remove their Emmy chances. I expect they'll sweep the Emmy's.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I missed the (HD!) broadcast but am so glad to here that the production was so good and will definitely be picking it up on DVD (or HD-DVD...oohhhh). I saw this performed at Signature Theater in Arlington a few years back and the show was great. Emma seems so perfect for that role!!!

dave :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I enjoyed the film version as well - two films that remained faithful in spirit to the original plays.

When Showtime acquired the rights to "Lolita," they gave it a seven day theatrical run in Los Angeles, which is the minimum requirement for a film to be eligible for an Academy Award. I wish they would have done it with Angels In America. Makes you wonder how it could/would have been nominated, since it is actually two films based on two plays. Would they somehow nominate it as one, or as two individually, or pick only one part to nominate?

Oh well.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I taped the 2 eps during the weekend from C4 here in the UK so a lomg 6 hours indeed.

Which will be worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks