What's new

Circuit for -3dB EQ at 50 Hz? (1 Viewer)

sledford

Auditioning
Hey folks, first post here in this forum. I just finished putting together my sonosub with a Tempest and the AVA250 amp. I will say, compared to my Polk Audio sub, this thing kicks the living cr*p out of it! Of course, that's not too hard to do being it was a very whimpy 8" driver in a small ported enclosure. One of the first DVD's I popped in based on what I've read was the Finding Nemo scene where the girl taps on the tank and my-oh-my, it about shook the walls of my house down! Now THAT was a test! I am not in the least disappointed and thanks to Brian Bunge for the order and responsive customer attention.

But, I am a perfectionist and I have this nice little (actually, 3dB is hardly little) room hump that I'd like to eliminate. I have modelled it in lspCAD that it can be compensated for with a -3dB EQ at 50Hz and improve my flatness. But, the question of the day is a circuit or other recommendation that would do the trick?

Thanks,
Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
But, I am a perfectionist and I have this nice little (actually, 3dB is hardly little) room hump that I'd like to eliminate. I have modelled it in lspCAD that it can be compensated for with a -3dB EQ at 50Hz.
Where is it located? How broad/narrow? Bottom line, if you’re a perfectionist nothing is going to work like a parametric EQ.

That said, I’ve seen here somewhere that someone offers what is effectively a single-filter parametric equalizer – maybe someone will show up and tell you where to find it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
-3dB EQ at 50Hz and improve my flatness. But, the question of the day is a circuit or other recommendation that would do the trick?
Steve, are you looking for a DIY circuit? This will require a couple of op-amps (or more, depending on how narrow you want the bandwidth) a handful of passive components and the usual power supply, connectors, chassis, etc. There might be a workable design on Rod Elliott's site (can't find the link at the moment).

An easier and more flexible solution would be to take Wayne's advice and buy a Behringer BFD. It's a fully adjustable digital parametric equalizer for about $130. 'Not super-high-end sound quality... but for a sub, it will work great.

On the other hand, +3dB at 50Hz is not all that bad. The extra "punch" that it would add might be quite enjoyable...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks