Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Circuit for -3dB EQ at 50 Hz?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   sledford

sledford

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 09:27 AM

Hey folks, first post here in this forum. I just finished putting together my sonosub with a Tempest and the AVA250 amp. I will say, compared to my Polk Audio sub, this thing kicks the living cr*p out of it! Of course, that's not too hard to do being it was a very whimpy 8" driver in a small ported enclosure. One of the first DVD's I popped in based on what I've read was the Finding Nemo scene where the girl taps on the tank and my-oh-my, it about shook the walls of my house down! Now THAT was a test! I am not in the least disappointed and thanks to Brian Bunge for the order and responsive customer attention.

But, I am a perfectionist and I have this nice little (actually, 3dB is hardly little) room hump that I'd like to eliminate. I have modelled it in lspCAD that it can be compensated for with a -3dB EQ at 50Hz and improve my flatness. But, the question of the day is a circuit or other recommendation that would do the trick?

Thanks,
Steve

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 11:01 AM

Quote:
I will say, compared to my Polk Audio sub, this thing kicks the living cr*p out of it! Of course, that's not too hard to do being it was a very whimpy 8" driver in a small ported enclosure.
Yup, hard to believe it from such a reputable company, but Polk’s subs are pretty near the bottom of the food chain.

Quote:
But, I am a perfectionist and I have this nice little (actually, 3dB is hardly little) room hump that I'd like to eliminate. I have modelled it in lspCAD that it can be compensated for with a -3dB EQ at 50Hz.
Where is it located? How broad/narrow? Bottom line, if you’re a perfectionist nothing is going to work like a parametric EQ.

That said, I’ve seen here somewhere that someone offers what is effectively a single-filter parametric equalizer – maybe someone will show up and tell you where to find it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Dave Milne

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 12:32 AM

Quote:
-3dB EQ at 50Hz and improve my flatness. But, the question of the day is a circuit or other recommendation that would do the trick?
Steve, are you looking for a DIY circuit? This will require a couple of op-amps (or more, depending on how narrow you want the bandwidth) a handful of passive components and the usual power supply, connectors, chassis, etc. There might be a workable design on Rod Elliott's site (can't find the link at the moment).

An easier and more flexible solution would be to take Wayne's advice and buy a Behringer BFD. It's a fully adjustable digital parametric equalizer for about $130. 'Not super-high-end sound quality... but for a sub, it will work great.

On the other hand, +3dB at 50Hz is not all that bad. The extra "punch" that it would add might be quite enjoyable...

Forum Nav Content I Follow