Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Disc you purchased by internet reccomendation?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 09:08 AM

Just wondering if anyone out there has purchased a title (whether it be CD, DVD-A. SACD whatever) that you'd not heard completely but bought off the reccomendations of people on the internet(forums, reviews, etc).
For me, the the best example I can think of is one I just bought on Thursday. On Thursday I picked up Liz Phair's "Exile in Guyville" for an insanely low price at Best Buy (6.99, though I had to bring a print out of Best Buy.com with me since it was priced at 11.99 in the store for some reason).
Anyhow, I'd heard like two songs off of it and sampled a few on the iTunes store using the free 30 second previews but the low price and strong word of mouth I found on the internet made me pick it up.
My take on it? A massive Posted Image .This is perhaps one of the best titles I own, and definately top 3 of the discs by female artists that I own. The songs flow very well together and call me crazy but I really dig Liz's husky voice.
Anyone else ever gone on the reccomendation of a total stranger via the internet?
Regards,
Dave

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 10:29 AM

for me, it is wendy carlos' 'switched-on box set', although i had been a fan of her work on the shining and a clockwor orange, so it wasn't a big surprise that i loved the box set. i heard great things about dr. octagon's 'dr. octagonecologyst' and karate's 'the bed is in the ocean' and bought them both, and love them both.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 11:46 AM

boy, i have quite a few. of recent memory:

aimee mann
beth orton Posted Image
morcheeba
wilco Posted Image
beck
a perfect circle Posted Image
miles davis Posted Image

there's probably more, but i don't remember. all of these were based on forum chats, personal testimonials, etc.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   James Corey

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 12:21 PM

Just one pops to mind. Ramsay Midwood's "Shoot Out At The OK Chinese Restaurant". A great collection of songs influenced by Tom Waits, Greg Brown, JJ Cale, John Prine, et al.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Chris Elm

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 12:38 PM

The Flaming Lips DVD-APosted Image
Never heard it before

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 01:08 PM

I don't know if this would be considered a reccomendation...but someone on IRC a long time ago in a horror channel told me "hey, watch this music vid, it's pretty cool". It was the video for Payback by Flaw. It reminded me of the movie Squirm. Well, I watched it, and liked it. A few weeks later I saw their CD, Through the Eyes, in the Best Buy ad for $5.99, so I picked it up. It's one of my favorite CDs. There is a hidden rendition of Only the Strong after the last listed song on the disc. It's really good.
Kyle McKnight

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 02:20 PM

Way back in the early days of the internet, back before the WWW was remotly popular, I was on a Rush mailing list called "The National Midnight Star". There was a nice thread on bands people would want to see open for Rush. More often than not, people were saying this band called Dream Theater. So, I picked up their only album at the time, "Images And Words", and proceded to get blown away.

Since then, I wouldn't know what I'd do for music without the Internet. Most of what I own has been from someone's recommendation at some point.

Jason

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 02:59 PM

hey cool a fellow Rush fan. I vaguely remember the National Midnight Star, though I may just be remembering the Web version of the site that existed for a while.
Regards,
Dave

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   TomCW

TomCW

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 03:58 PM

I listen to very little radio, as it generally sucks, so the Internet is THE way I find new music. CD Baby is great for indie titles. The last thing I got on a recommend was Colleen Sexton - Greatest Find, as recommended by RachaelB, here.

Tom
I like to live in an altered state/ it makes me love all the things I hate.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 05:34 PM

Robert Johnson, the complete recordings. It's a trip listening to this after knowing what came after such as the Stones, Cream, Zeppelin, ZZ Top, etc.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   kamyiu

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 06:37 PM

Way back in the early days of the internet, back before the WWW was remotly popular, I was on a Rush mailing list called "The National Midnight Star".

cool! i was on the nms too! whatever happened to that list?

this past year, my favorite recommendation is múm. ended up picking up all their albums i could find, and i went to see their live show this summer.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 01:36 AM

I discovered Tool after seeing in this very forum how they were praised by people who also like my favourite bands, and I couldn't be more pleased.
Too much debt...

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 02:31 AM

I discoverd Wilco, Alison Krauss, Blackalicious, and Marty Elrich, among others, from this forum.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 03:48 AM

Quote:
cool! i was on the nms too! whatever happened to that list?

It died a few years ago, after Neil's losses and the band going on hiatus. It couldn't survive that, and the person running the list was fed up at all the flame wars. Too bad, since that was the original music mailing list that I was on. I still have the list t-shirt as well somewhere..

Jason

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 04:24 AM

I bought Wilco "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" based on reviews here and enjoyed it immensely. I also picked up "Pavane Pour Une Infanto" from LA4 based on a recommendation from a friend of mine. While it is a bit on the pricey side, both the music and disc quality are excellent! Just do a search on "LA4" under the artist search here:

http://www.cduniverse.com
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 10:12 AM

About a year ago I bought a DVD-Audio player, and earlier this spring I was looking for some DVD-A titles. On this forum some people were mentioning Blue Man Groups "Audio" on dvd-a. I picked it up and was absolutely floored. I have since bought everything BMG has released and have seen them perform 4 times this year. (3 times in Minneapolis, once in Vegas) But I'm not a freak about them or anything.

Really, I'm not.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 04:09 PM

LUXT hand down. Heard of them here, checked out theier website, downloaded one song and was hooked. Can't get enough of them.....

R~
My DVD Collection

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 05:25 PM

Beck, Sea Change, SACD. Amazing album, amazing disc, amazing artist. I am a Beck fan, but never heard his latest album before I bought it.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   JordanS

JordanS

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 06:54 PM

Someone recommended the album, "OK Computer" by Radiohead. After letting that album sink in, I went out and immediately bought all of their other albums. In my own opinion, I think Radiohead is one of the best bands to come out of the last two decades. Great lyrics and the music is brilliant, IMO.

Posted Image Posted Image
Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

-Darth....

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 01:34 AM

dolly varden's forgiven now

www.dollyvarden.com