Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speakers behind TV?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Pete Little

Pete Little

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 04:54 AM

I'm planning on mounting my bookshelf speakers on the wall just above and behind my 50 inch Sammy DLP. The unit rests on top of a cabinet, so the screen itself extends about a foot and a half from the wall, due to the depth of the TV. How important is it for the front surface of the speakers to be on the same "plane" as the front surface of the screen?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,952 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted December 15 2003 - 05:24 AM

As thin as that TV is, I don’t expect that it will matter much at all – after all, you’re talking only 2-3 milliseconds delay. If your receiver has a delay for the center channel, you can effectively tweak the “problem” out of existence. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,562 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 15 2003 - 06:09 AM

It can matter quite a bit. Delay is not the issue, but reflections can be, especially if the speakers reflect off of the sides of the TV cabinet (if they are far enough to either side, this should not be a big problem). I actually recommend having the front baffle of the speaker IN FRONT of your display, at least a few inches, but preferably further. If it is not a simple matter for speaker location, then I'd get them at least a few feet to either side of the TV, with a little toe in, which is better (further apart) anyway.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Pete Little

Pete Little

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Man, that was quick. Love this forum. Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users