Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Should I add this old CD player or just stick to my DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Andre Barros

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 14 2003 - 04:10 PM

Right now I have a Pioneer DVD hooked to my receiver in my bedroom and that's what I use to listen to CD's. I have an old Technics 5 disc CD player, probably 13 years old or something just lying around. I don't know the model number but it's one that opens the entire fron panel when you press the open button. I was thinking that I might hook it up and start using that for CD's. The advantage would be that it is a 5 disc player however I'm not sure it will play CDR's like the DVD does and most of my CD's are CDR's. Any chance a player that old will play CDR's? The other thing is that it would add another remote to the collection since I currently use the receiver's remote to control the DVD being they are both Pioneer. Is there any disadvantage in my case to keep using the DVD player for CD's? I know it might not be ideal but there is the remote control advantage. Any thoughts?

Thakns in advance,

Andre

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 02:48 AM

Your Technics player probably will not play CDR's but try it and see.

There is nothing wrong with using the DVD player to play CDs or CDRs.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 15 2003 - 03:44 AM

I can almost guarantee it will not recognize CDRs, but it may have better DACs than your DVD player, so give it a shot to see how it sounds. Having a carousel might just be worth it too.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   ZoranM

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 07:16 AM

Give it a shot and see what happens. I have a 10+ year old Sherwood 5 disc carousel and cd-r's work fine, in fact in the last 5 years that I have had a burner(s) I have never had a cdr (all sorts of brands)not work in the Sherwood.

Cheers,

Zed

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Andre Barros

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 07:23 AM

Thanks guys, I'll hook it up tonight and see what happens.

Regards,

André