Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Should I add this old CD player or just stick to my DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Andre Barros

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 14 2003 - 04:10 PM

Right now I have a Pioneer DVD hooked to my receiver in my bedroom and that's what I use to listen to CD's. I have an old Technics 5 disc CD player, probably 13 years old or something just lying around. I don't know the model number but it's one that opens the entire fron panel when you press the open button. I was thinking that I might hook it up and start using that for CD's. The advantage would be that it is a 5 disc player however I'm not sure it will play CDR's like the DVD does and most of my CD's are CDR's. Any chance a player that old will play CDR's? The other thing is that it would add another remote to the collection since I currently use the receiver's remote to control the DVD being they are both Pioneer. Is there any disadvantage in my case to keep using the DVD player for CD's? I know it might not be ideal but there is the remote control advantage. Any thoughts?

Thakns in advance,

Andre

#2 of 5 Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 02:48 AM

Your Technics player probably will not play CDR's but try it and see.

There is nothing wrong with using the DVD player to play CDs or CDRs.

#3 of 5 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 15 2003 - 03:44 AM

I can almost guarantee it will not recognize CDRs, but it may have better DACs than your DVD player, so give it a shot to see how it sounds. Having a carousel might just be worth it too.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 5 ZoranM

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 07:16 AM

Give it a shot and see what happens. I have a 10+ year old Sherwood 5 disc carousel and cd-r's work fine, in fact in the last 5 years that I have had a burner(s) I have never had a cdr (all sorts of brands)not work in the Sherwood.

Cheers,

Zed

#5 of 5 Andre Barros

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 07:23 AM

Thanks guys, I'll hook it up tonight and see what happens.

Regards,

André