What's new

Placement of non-shielded speakers near TV? (1 Viewer)

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
How close is 'too close" when it comes to placment of non-shielded speakers near a TV? I seem to recall reading that non-shielded speakers can damage a TV if placed to close. My center speaker is shielded, but I was toying with the idea of using one of my un-shielded fronts as a center speaker.

Andy

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What kind of tv? Direct view? rptv? digital-based rptv?

These all make a difference. You can move it close and see the image distortions, usually you don't need to be too far away. Direct views will be more susceptible, since the screen is the entire tube. CRT-RPTVs have the tubes down at the bottom front, so a speaker on top is well away from the tubes, and a digital-projector based RPTV or any other digital display won't have any problems at all.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No closer than two feet. I've ruined two perfectly good Sony TVs by placing them too close to unshielded speakers (remember, in the days before home theater, shielded speakers were rare). The chroma distortion caused by unshielded speakers can become permanent if left unattended for too long.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Jack's recommendation is spot on. At approximately 2 feet, the strength of the magnetic field is reduced to the point where it's essentially as strong as the earth's magnetic field.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks