Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Shifting artefacts - explanations?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Serega_M

Serega_M

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted December 13 2003 - 12:22 PM

Hi, people

I was wondering - can anyone explain to me why are there "shifting artifacts" on some discs - usually they are in the scenes when camera is slightly changes position - and part or some parts of the picture is shifting. Sometimes it is terribly annoying. The recent example of where there are A LOT of such annoying artifacts - IMAGE disc "The House With The Laughing Windows". So - I guess that it is just a lousy compression job - but I'd like to know the technical explanation - WHY are such crap happening and is it possible to COMPLETELY avoid such kind of crap? And if yes - it is possible - why the quality control is silent when such issues are clearly visible in the final product. Would like to have some replies Posted Image Thanks in advance!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted December 13 2003 - 01:18 PM

Shifting picture elements are definitely one possible symptom of overcompression (or a poor compressionist). Not nearly as prevalent as in the very early days of DVD.

I've added "The House With The Laughing Windows" (the reviews definitely have my interest) to my GreenCine rental queue and will let you know what I see.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted December 14 2003 - 02:53 AM

I was just thinking the same thing a couple of days ago when watching some of THE HONEYMOONERS - Classic 39 Episodes recently released by PARAMOUNT. I've seen some shifting on quite a few discs over the years, but to see such poor compression on a MAJOR STUDIO'S release in 2003 is pretty sad. Scratches and tinny sound and non-restoration is one thing, but poor compression where door frames and windows and chests of drawers are shifting around in the image is unacceptable. Paramount should be ashamed.