What's new

Tex Avery Box Set!?! (1 Viewer)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

That's fantastic news, I never heard it mentioned before. I sure hope they do a complete set, like they did for laserdisc. I've been tempted to buy an LD player just for the Tex Avery box.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Translation of some details

Looks to be missing 4 shorts from the LD set, but I'm too lazy to figure out which four.

Sounds like the same video masters as the LDs, not restored, and including the original English mono. Hopefully the french subs can be disabled when choosing the English track.

Anybody know of an NTSC version coming anywhere? This would sell well in Japan. I'm wary of an R1 release...very wary (due to PC issues). I'll bet they'd have done a restoration if these were headed to R1 any time soon.

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
These better not contain censored versions of the toons if/when it's finally released. Some of the Tex Avery shorts would be deemed far from "politically correct" these days. Magical Maestro immediately comes to mind.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
FYI, only "Droopy's Good Deed" and "Garden Gopher" are censored on the LD box (for blackface gags), and it is generally considered an oversight as many other cartoons on the set had the same kinds of gags.

Even "Uncle Tom's Cabaña" is uncensored...and I don't look for that to hit R1 DVD any time soon (hopefully I am wrong).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Love to see Avery's work on DVD. About the funniest and most inventive of cartoon short gagmen. Even if a set like this winds up coming to region one, I suspect it will not contain the wonderful Lantz cartoons, since Universal greedily hangs on to those and doesn't seem to want to share them with anyone (especially not Warner Bros).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Sounds more and more like I should have bought that box while I was still in Paris yesterday :frowning: I just didn't have internet access to post the question earlier.

As best as I can tell, the subtitles are not forced. Of course the only 100% proof method is to put it in your DVD player, but the sites I checked are pretty reliable in indicating if the subs are forced and they say no.

Ted

James Reader

Screenwriter
It's been reported that there are no forced subtitles on the cartoons. However the Limited 5 disc set contains a bonus disc with 2 one hour documentaries on. It's possible that the American archive documentary will have forced French subs, and an all new documentary has been created especially for this set. It's possible that this may be French language?

I'm waiting for my 5 disc LE to come. Despite ordering it on December 1st it's not shipped and Amazon.fr are out of stock. My friend ordered his from Amazon.fr on December 9th (the day before release) and it shipped that day :frowning:

I hope the LE isn't truely a "Limited" edition - or else it looks like I've missed it :frowning:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Jerry Beck has hinted that there are plans to release a fully restored collection of Tex Avery shorts in the next year so I would avoid this box-set for now as the prints are not remastered.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
That packaging looks atrocious! Is this thing even legit? The site says it's a Warner release, which I guess makes sense, since they own MGM, but wouldn't these 'toons be more appropriately released under the MGM banner, and in something resembling a professionally designed box?

I recently did a seach on amazon to find out what the original laser boxes for Avery and Tom & Jerry were selling for (to see if I should bother trying to sell mine) and search warranted a 6 DVD set of Tom & Jerry cartoons that were quite clearly bootlegs, although the packaging for each disc looked far superior to this.

oh well, I guess if they bothered to include two documentaries, then there must be some legitimacy to this Avery release.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Jerry Beck has hinted that there are plans to release a fully restored collection of Tex Avery shorts in the next year so I would avoid this box-set for now as the prints are not remastered.
Marco,

Does this hint include any information on the potential rights and censorship issues mention above in this thread? And how about some general guidance as to the date -- if it years away, some of us might want to have something in the meantime.

Thanks!
Ted

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
this would be my dream set! I'd rate it higher than the Disney Treasures and the Looney Toons!

I'll hold out for the R1 remasters. A hint from Jerry Beck is probably right on the money, as he hinted about the Looney tunes set in the past.

James Reader

Screenwriter
That packaging looks atrocious! Is this thing even legit? The site says it's a Warner release, which I guess makes sense, since they own MGM, but wouldn't these 'toons be more appropriately released under the MGM banner, and in something resembling a professionally designed box?
What? What the hell? Of course it's legitimate. America doesn't just release DVDs you know? :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't it be legitimate, from a legitimate retailer? Can you state whats wrong with the box and/or tin? (depending on which release you are looking at)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks