What's new

Has anyone tried one of these for their DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
These were also just featured as a recommended tweak ("14 Cheap Tweaks") in the newest Home Theater magazine. According to the magazine, the results are quite good in terms of audio, but downright surprising in terms of video.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I replaced the factory power cord on my DVD player by using one of these IEC adapters. It was a different brand that was also Cryo'd. Not sure if I buy into the Cryo mod but the power cord change did make a significant improvement in both music and video. Highly recomend this affordable mod.
FWIW you can pick up an IEC adapter from others such as
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/c8_to_iec_adapter.htm
Maybe someone else can post alternate sources?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

That's great news seeing as how I bought them "blind", not hearing any recommendations until after I placed the order.

Did you hear more improvement in the audio, video or both?

Wow, Take Five has a good price on these! VH Audio (see link below) also has a good price ($20) compared to what I've seen in the Music Direct catalog ($40) and theirs are cryo'd.

http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Improvement was noticed in both areas. I was expecting an audio improvement but the video surprised me.
Only wish I had seen TakeFive's price before I spent $24.95 on mine.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

Just curious, what kind of power cable did you go with for your DVD player?

FWIW, I highly recommend VH Audio's Flavor 3 cord (see link in previous post). I used one on my Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro and it made a big difference!

AlexanderS

Second Unit
I can't seem to visualize how these work. I see the adapter to fit onto the dvd player but it has no actual cord and couldn't fit into a wall socket by itself. Can someone paint me a picture on this one? Thanks.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Alexander, the adapter has a male end that is plugged into the female power input on the back of your DVD player. Where its supplied cord would normally plug in. On the other end of the adapter is a female end that accepts the male end of a heavier duty, high-zoot, power cord that you buy. These cords look similar to a PC's power cord.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Oh, I get it. Damn that was simple. My samsung 931 doesn't have the cord recpticle outside, the cord runs inside the case. Is this upgradeable?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Alexander,

Your player would not be able to be upgraded or tweaked in the manner we are discussing here as the cord is not detachable.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this will make my deadly ninja skills even more deadly on many of my ninja-themed PlayStation2 games (When I upgrade my PS2 powercord that is).

Seriously. I'll wait till I can borrow one of these for a day. I'm not quite ready to buy the "premium" power-cord idea yet.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Ron,
I went through a bunch of DIY cable recipes. Yes, I tried VH recipes too but preferred a cable that used a silver/copper blend (hybrid) for the conductors. Since finding these I've replaced all my ac cords with them.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Try www.mapleshaderecords.com for a replacement AC cord for equipment that has hardwired cords. Of course, you will pay for their AC cords, they start at $150, but there is no extra charge for the hard-wired AC cord kit.

Here is a description of the kit from their website:

"CLEARVIEW AC CORD KITS (To Replace Hardwired Cords):
NO EXTRA COST!

You have a real good-sounding CD player, amp, turntable or recorder. You just know it could sound great with a first-rate AC cord. No dice, the piece doesn’t have a removable cord. Cheer up! Since this comes up so often, we’ve developed a kit to change your cord easily—without diving into the bowels of your gear wielding a soldering iron. Couldn’t be simpler: just get a MKI or a MKII Clearview Double Helix Power Cord Kit. It comes with prepared and marked bare wire ends plus insulated copper butt splices that you simply squeeze on with pliers—no soldering. Just cut your component’s captive cord 3" from the box and scrape bare the conductors at the cut end, slip on the butt splices and squeeze. By the way, it’ll sound better than if you’d paid somebody $100 to cut a hole in the back of your chassis and hard-wire in an IEC jack. The add-on IEC jack and mating plug just add a lot of unnecessary, bad-sounding dielectric."

I have not tried any of their power cords, but Mapleshade has a good reputation.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
That adaptor looks pretty cheap (and takefiveaudio.com is canadian! Double bonus!), but what kind of cord would you guys recommend? I just wanna try it out, my player isn't great enough to spend $150 on a power cord... Would a basic PC power cable make at least a SLIGHT difference, then I can go from there?

Or anybody recommend a place with cheaper power cables?

Also, my DVD player's power plug is not a perfectly round 8-shape, one side is cut to a square... do ya think i could maybe trim the adaptor to square it off to make it fit?

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Rhinocables.net used to sell ac power cords. Think their 3ft pro cord was around $59.95 U.S.
E-mail them for details as they may or may not still sell them. Bonus is they are also located in Vancouver.
Or you could make one yourself. All the parts are available from TakeFive. If you can cut and strip wire and use a screw driver ....

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
hahaha, RhinoCables is actually in my area of the GVA, Richmond.. small world, small world...

Do you have any links as to how to make a good quality DIY power cable?

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Some affordable ac power cord suppliers:

signalcables.com
elementcable.com
vhaudio.com
diycable.com (kit)
linearinterconnects.com (kit)
boldercables.com

Maybe someone else can post some more?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Interesting.

What video improvements have been seen? Be specific if possible.

Moving to tweaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks