Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about Airport Extreme Card for Mac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Paul O

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 03:00 PM

I'm going to be buying a Powerbook G4 12" - my first mac in over 10 years! I currently have DSL with a PC desktop hooked in via Ethernet and a PC Laptop with a Dllink 802.1b wireless card. Question - do i need an Airport base station in addition to the card for the Powermac? I already have a wireless gateway which was given to me by the DSL company called a 2Wire. Will i be able to use the G4 wirelessly with the 2Wire and without the Apple Base station?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 03:58 PM

Yes, nothing else required, but you will not see the speeds the Airport Extreme card is capable of, even if you have an 802.11g router, because of your mix of "b" and "g" signals. (But for outgoing connections via DSL it's still sufficiently fast, it's only an issue for computer to computer transfers.)

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted December 12 2003 - 01:30 AM

Your current wireless setup is fine for use with the AirPort Extreme card. The 12" PowerBook is a great portable. Enjoy. Posted Image