-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HOFFA coming in January?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Bobby S

Bobby S

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 08:24 AM

In the Dec. 9th edition of USA Today there is a small article about Jack Nicholson films on DVD. At the end of this article there are 4 or 5 titles mentioned that are NOT on DVD yet, one of them being HOFFA, but in parentheses was the statement "coming in January". So maybe USA Today knows something we don't know. This is the 1st I've heard that this great Nicholson movie is finally being released on DVD. Hope they're correct. Anyone have more info?

#2 of 14 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted December 10 2003 - 08:46 AM

I was in a chat with Warner Brothers (I think the one before last) and asked about this title. They said they were working on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out in 2004. It's a great film.

#3 of 14 Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 10:40 AM

There was another thread about this just last week. The 2-disc special edition DVD comes out 1/27/04

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=130028

#4 of 14 Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
I was in a chat with Warner Brothers (I think the one before last) and asked about this title.

Why? Doesn't this belong to Fox?

-Lyle J.P.

#5 of 14 Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 09:34 AM

Quote:
I was in a chat with Warner Brothers (I think the one before last) and asked about this title. They said they were working on it.

I'm curious as to why they'd be working on a Fox film?

#6 of 14 Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 04:32 AM

Found this early today at a well-known retailer. Wasn't looking for it yet but they had it on one of their floating displays. 14.99. It's a single disc set, but it has a decent amount of extras. Haven't seen it in a long time, I'll be glad to check it out soon!
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#7 of 14 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 04:49 AM

Sounds to me like everything that was on the laserdisc is being ported over to the new DVD. I found the laserdisc several years back in a bargain bin at the old Camelot Music (replaced now by FYE), and they had four copies in stock - three for $18.88 and one for $10.88. A real no-brainer as to which one I got! Posted Image

As long as they give Hoffa a good anamorphic widescreen transfer in Dolby 5.1 sound, I'll be happy to upgrade from my laserdisc.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#8 of 14 DarrinH

DarrinH

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 12:31 AM

So what happened to this release?
I have been to two places and they have no record of it even being released?
President of the WV Home Theater Group
http://www.geocities.../wvhtgroup.html

#9 of 14 Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 02:39 AM

It's released. I got mine from DVD Empire right on schedule.

#10 of 14 Nick Totoro

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 02:53 AM

I picked up Hoffa last weekend. I went to BB on the release date and none were to be found. They must have had them in the back. When I went last night to get Raw Deal and the re-release of Planet of the Apes, all they had on the shelf was the fullscreen of the latter... several of them. They had to go to the back to get the widescreen version for me.

Raw Deal was under drama... only one copy... okee dokee...

Nick

#11 of 14 DarrinH

DarrinH

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 04:37 AM

None at Wal-Mart and none at circuit city.
I guess I will have to get it online.
President of the WV Home Theater Group
http://www.geocities.../wvhtgroup.html

#12 of 14 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 05:58 AM

Quote:
None at Wal-Mart and none at circuit city.

It's funny. I stopped at a Best Buy store and a Borders store last night to see if either had Ed Wood. Neither did. But they each had Hoffa.

You might want to try Best Buy. The store did not have it displayed with the new releases. It simply had two copies shelved in alphabetical order among the drama titles.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#13 of 14 Michael_Gu

Michael_Gu

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 09:24 AM

I bought mine last Tuesday at the Best Buy nearest me. I guess I was pretty lucky to get it so early.
Baby Arm

Go home and get your F'n shinebox!

#14 of 14 Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 02:27 PM

I got it yesterday at Best Buy for $14.99. It wasn't there last week on its release date, probably because it's a catalog title and BB wasn't in a hurry to put it on the shelves. But it's there now.

Forum Nav Content I Follow