Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My 85L Vented Shiva Project Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 Gerry S

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 10:54 AM

Some lessons learned:

Veneering is challenging! I am sure this is old hat to many of you, but for the rookies, I want to point out some of my mistakes/concerns.

First, consider the grain direction of the veneer. Most of the custom subs and cabinets I viewed on the web have the grain pattern in a vertical direction on the side of the box. Well the 4x8 sheet of veneer I purchased had the grain running horizontal to the 8' side. What this meant was that to wrap my sub, the grain would be horizontal on the sides. So I realized I either purchased the wrong piece (I dont know if there is an option in grain direction), or I just needed to purchase a larger sheet.

Second is wrapping the rounded over edges of the cabinet. Again this works great if the grain is running vertical as you are bending the veneer with the grain. I am bending across the grain, so I will have to be very careful not break the veneer. I am a bit concerned. You definitely need to use the largest radius round over bit you can get your hands on.

I am in the process of doing the legs first so I can get a feel for the process. I figure if I screw those up it wont be as bad as messing up the cabinet! I'll post again after I work on the cabinet. Any comments are welcome.

#22 of 26 Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 12:50 PM

Gerry,

If you stand up the sheet of the veneer so that it's 8' tall does the grain run vertically? If so, that's the normal grain orientation. If the grain was running horizontal when you had it standing up 8' tall then it's considered a cross grain sheet. If you want to wrap the veneer around a cabinet that's more than 48" in circumference then you will need a cross grain sheet. Do not try to wrap the grain horizontally around the corners as it will crack; even with a 3/4" roundover.
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#23 of 26 Gerry S

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 02:02 PM

When standing 8' tall the grain runs vertically. Looks like I need to run out and get a cross grain sheet.

I was going to try to wrap the cabinet tomorrow - thanks for the heads up as I would have ruined my cabinet. Deep down I wanted to do it right anyways. It would have always bothered me that the grain was running parallel to the floor.

Now I have to come up with another project to use the sheet of veneer I already cut!

#24 of 26 Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 02:12 PM

Unless the supplier is close by make sure you call them first. They may not carry x-grain sheets all the time. Also, if you're feeling brave, it is possible to piece two pieces of veneer together to get a piece long enough to wrap fully around the cabinet. I wouldn't suggest it for a first time project though. I've done a lot of veneering over the last couple of years and I still get a little scared when I try piecing sheets together like this. Posted Image

BTW, Merry Christmas!
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#25 of 26 Gerry S

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted December 24 2003 - 04:39 PM

Merry Christmas to you too. I may look into using several pieces - I'm curious if I can pull it off. Based on the way I've cut the sheet I have, I'd end up with 4 seams instead of one.

#26 of 26 Gerry S

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 09:59 AM

I investigated the cross grain sheet, and it costs nearly twice what the standard grain sheet runs. So I am going to use the sheet I have on hand: I'll end up with 3 seams.

This past weekend I veneered the legs. I have a good feel for what to expect as far as working with the cement and cutting the seams.

My question today is how do you deal with contact cement that may have found it's way to the outside of the veneer. Do you typically use mineral spirits to clean it up or just sand it of with very fine sandpaper? Is it easier to clean up while its still wet, or wait and do it the next day?

Thanks - I hope everyone is having a great holiday season.