Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What are the best discs from Something Weird Video?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 12:05 PM

I'm a fan of Elite Entertainment's Drive-In discs, but I know that Something Weird Video was doing the discs long ago (if you consider 3 to 4 years ago long).

My question is:

What are Something Weird's best Drive-In Double Feature discs?

What are the best plain Double Feature discs?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

You raise a kid on MST3K and the Sci-Fi Drive-In at Walt Disney World's Disney-MGM Studios, and he's bound to dig stuff like this.

EDIT: I can live with Something Weird's on-screen logo as well.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#2 of 7 ONLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,153 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted December 09 2003 - 12:55 PM

THE VIOLENT YEARS/GIRL GANG is my personal favorite. The first film has a script by Ed Wood. DEATH CURSE OF TARTU/STING OF DEATH is another good one but I really didn't care too much for the second feature. TARTU is a childhood favorite, although the film certainly isn't a masterpiece.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 03:16 PM

here are a few personal fav's....for what it's worth. throw quality out the door and you'll have tons-o-fun.Posted Image

The Defilers/Scum of the Earth(drive-in 2 shot)

Fiend of Dope Island/Pagen Island(tropical double)

Just For the Hell of It/Blast-Off Girls(drive-in)

The Thirsty Dead/The Swamp of the Ravens(undead double feature)

Mondo Bizarro/Mondo Freudo
My DVD/Film Library
dvd folders under construction:wink:

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 03:55 PM

Thanks, Michael and Todd.

I'm a major fan of cheese...90% of the movies I have on DVD and VHS could be considered cheese.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Keep the suggestions coming, though!
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,648 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 03:13 AM

Also doesn't hesitate to check out Something Weird/Image's two STARMAN discs. The four films contained therein are seriously brain-damaged fun for the MST3K fan (along the lines of PRINCE OF SPACE and INVASION OF THE NEPTUNE MEN), and the extras are super (MY MILKMAN JOE (even odder/scarier than MR. B NATURAL), two episodes of the 1960s black & white anime PRINCE PLANET, lots of incredible 1960s/70s Euro superhero trailers (think PUMA-MAN and DANGER: DEATH RAY quality), etc).

Behold, the power of CHEESE! Posted Image

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Ian_H

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 11:43 AM

I have snapped up all the Herschell Gordon Lewis discs they have put out. Those are great. Some of Harry Novak's nudie flicks are fun as well.

-ian

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,044 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 06:46 AM

"EDIT: I can live with Something Weird's on-screen logo as well."
No, you can't :P)

I have Defilers/Scum of the Earth and Just For the Hell of It/Blast-Off Girls which don't have any on-screen crap (Blast-off Girls is a great movie too!) but I also have the one with Monster Of Camp Sunshine which has the SWV on all the trailers, though the movies look good, but that's probably the last disc I'll ever buy from them. I'd buy all their drive-in discs just for the trailers if they didn't have the 'watermark' on them; anyone know which others DON'T have it?
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc