Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need a sub?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 RichST

RichST

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 08:29 AM

Warning: the following may be a totally silly question.

Ordered the NSP1 setup with an HK AVR225. I haven't bought the sub yet, but when I do it will be the Dayton 10"

However, I live on the 3rd floor of my apt. and am worried about bass and my neighbors. I just saw those Aura Bass Shakers on PE's website, and from the few threads here people seem to like them.

Now the question: If I got two of those (bass shaker Pros) would it be an acceptable (temporary) sub substitute that will not cause me to get booted from my apartment? (or do they cause just as much rattling and noise) Or, is this just stupid Posted Image ?

Peace

#2 of 11 Benihana

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 08:58 AM

I have a solution for you. Get the dayton sub, and suspend it off the floor by about a foot, place it on a stand or something. That should take care of the vibrations, and then mount your bass shaker pros to your couch, now you have shaking bass and bass you can hear, If you mount those shakers to the couch, it wont bug the neighbors.

#3 of 11 RichST

RichST

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 10:22 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of reducing traveling bass, that's why I am/was debating eliminating the sub. Maybe that doesn't make sense...

#4 of 11 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,519 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 09 2003 - 12:34 PM

With the NSP-1, you are missing about half of all the sound without a sub. Get the sub and see if anyone complains, then turn it down to an acceptable level until you move.

Isolating the sub with spikes will remove the transmission of vibration to the floor, but that will not reduce the sound of the sub.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 11 Schrall_Danny

Schrall_Danny

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 12:56 PM

Rich, I am a condo owner, so I can relate to your concerns as an apartment dweller. The short answer is, No of course you dont "Need" a subwoofer. That said, after being 32 hours into my ownership of a HSU VTF-2, I can sincerely say you "WANT" one. What "they" say is true, no single item that I have purchased will impact your listening experience like a true and potent sub will, i.e Hsu or SVS.

Here's is a sample of the responsibility you have to assume when your in an apartment or condo. One, inform your neighbors that your passionate about hometheater and that you intend on purchasing a sub, but you in no way wish to intrude upon their peace. Invite them over for a movie let them enjoy a flick with you.

Second, purchase, place, and calibrate your new sub and begin playing some bass filled material. I recommend BLADE 2, scene two as it is an action sequence in excess of five minutes with sufficient LFE. Play this material at logical volumes, sorry your not gonna get away with reference, then take your arse downstairs to your neighbors apartment and listen to see how intrusive those LFE signals are going to get.

Through dialouge you should be able to find a happy medium with your neighbor and still be able to enjoy the benefits of your sub. Dude, even and moderate listening levels your sub will be appriciable.

Daniel Schrall

#6 of 11 Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 01:07 PM

I also agree, even at low volumes a sub still adds to the sound. Just cuz it isnt loud doesnt meen it isnt doing anything.

#7 of 11 RichST

RichST

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 01:28 PM

I figured it'd be silly not to get a sub, I just wanted to check. I'll prolly get the shakers too anyway Posted Image

It's going to be one of those things where beyond 9:30 pm I wont be able to crank stuff up. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the advice.

#8 of 11 PeterKurpiewski

PeterKurpiewski

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 01:57 PM

I just want to chip in my 2 cents and say that a sub would be one of the best additions to your HT. I added a SVS 25-31 PCi a few days back (I went from no sub to awesome sub) and it's a world of difference. I'd say go for it, and as suggested, just turn it down if they complain. It's worth it.

#9 of 11 Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 02:45 PM

Rich,

Since you're in an apartment, I'll recommend that you work out some sort of accommodation with your neighbors. Get to know them. Find out what their schedules are, and you'll soon learn when the best times for you to run your system at enjoyable levels. As a home theater and electric guitar enthusiast, I can attest from personal experience that a little diplomacy can go a LONG way when dealing with adjoining neighbors.

#10 of 11 ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 01:57 PM

I can relate to your problem. I have a Polk Audio PSW250 and my cousin lives downstairs in the basement which the subwoofer is directly over his bed/computer area. I can turn it up a decent amount for him to not be bugged. Although I found that with my Klipsch ProMedia system at very low volumes it intrudes on the kitchen below. I would Since you probably have something like a carpet or hardwood floor in that apartment followed by a decent amount of weight on that area I don't see you having a problem... if you do just use something to raise it up a bit and your set.

#11 of 11 Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 02:52 PM

I live on the 3rd floor and I have an SVS. I talked to my neighbors and they told me it wasnt a problem, they never hear or feel it.